What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Handling Characterisitics

gwav8or

I?m currently in the process of selling my Cherokee 140 in the hopes of upgrading to an RV-6. Been looking at both the 6 and the 7 and the 6 is more in my price range. However, I do want whichever I end up with to be IFR equipped so I can file, fly and approach under instrument conditions. So my question is, are the flight handling characteristics significantly different between the two? I mean different enough to wait until I can swing a 7? Either way, what are the difference in the two? Flying characteristics?

I?m currently in the process of selling my Cherokee 140 in the hopes of upgrading to an RV-6. Been looking at both the 6 and the 7 and the 6 is more in my price range. However, I do want whichever I end up with to be IFR equipped so I can file, fly and approach under instrument conditions. So my question is, are the flight handling characteristics significantly different between the two? I mean different enough to wait until I can swing a 7? Either way, what are the difference in the two? Flying characteristics?

I don't have a lot of total time but have 100+ hours in a -6 and about one hour in a -7. As I recall they were virtually identical in handling. The -7 floated just a hair bit more on landing and it seemed to have power steering on the ground (before and after tailwheel touchdown) vs. the small-tail -6.

I can't speak at all to IFR suitability.

blindfolded

you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference without a lot of time in one or the other.

Both are fine for IFR work, an autopilot really helps with the workload.

Both are fine machines and docile tailwheel aircraft with low stall speeds. The most noticeable difference between the two would be improved directional stability of the -7 especially in turbulence, due to its larger tail surfaces. The -7 is simply an improvement of the basic -6 design, including higher gross weight, lowered cabin floor, beefier gear and engine mount, redesigned wing spar, more fuel as well as the instrument panel located further forward. The biggest advantage to buying a used -7 would be the likleyhood of a more quality constructed airframe whether a QB kit or factory pre-punched. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of beautifully constructed Sixes out there. Cannot emphasize the importance of a good pre-buy inspection by an RV savvy mechanic. In the end it comes down to your budget, but you usually get what you pay for.

In the air, I cannot tell the difference between the -6 or the -7.

It is just my humble opinion that the RV-7 transitions from flying to landing just a little nicer than the RV-6. The RV-7 has a little more wing and that may have something to do with it.

I only have 3,000+ hours in the RV-6 and only a few hours in the RV-7 so others opinions may differ.

Today I explored the limit of a RV6A in crosswinds. Ran out of rudder but straight. Was a slip not a crab. Probably 15 knot crosswind.

Once I was in ground effect the crosswind abated somewhat and a greaser.

15Degrees of flaps and 10 knots faster due to gusts.

Point?: Maybe a bigger rudder is better?

Are you into acro? If not, you might consider expanding your search to include -9s. No acro, but I hear that they're better instrument platforms.

plenty of good answers given above relating the non-differences between a -6 and a -7.
Back to your
so I can file, fly and approach under instrument conditions
you will find that the -6 (or -7) are much less stable as an IFR platform than the Cherokee 140. The controls on the RVs way lighter in all axes than on your present stead, and the overall stability reduced.
This being said, I would only consider flying IFR in one of those with a good coupled autopilot. Hand flying an NDB, VOR or even long final ILS in turbulence, weather and darkness will probably use most of anyone's set of skills...

Today I explored the limit of a RV6A in crosswinds. Ran out of rudder but straight. Was a slip not a crab. Probably 15 knot crosswind.

I would definitely agree with that assessment. Especially for the tailwheel 6.

plenty of good answers given above relating the non-differences between a -6 and a -7.
Back to your you will find that the -6 (or -7) are much less stable as an IFR platform than the Cherokee 140. The controls on the RVs way lighter in all axes than on your present stead, and the overall stability reduced.
This being said, I would only consider flying IFR in one of those with a good coupled autopilot. Hand flying an NDB, VOR or even long final ILS in turbulence, weather and darkness will probably use most of anyone's set of skills...

I?ve actually flown a 7, once. It was in smooth air though but I really didn?t notice a drastic difference from my Cherokee. I mean, yeah the 7 was much crisper and sensitive but it didn?t seem to me like it would take a lot to get used to it.

I would be extremely hesitant to fly in actual without a good autopilot. That?s something I learned in my IFR training while bouncing around the sky in my 140.

I wonder if there is anybody in the Dallas area with a 6 that would be willing to take me up in their 6 if I paid the fuel?

I would not fly in actual IFR unless you are comfortable hand flying in those conditions. The autopilot is a great aide but you should not consider it a big deal if it fails.
G

I have landed in 28 kt direct crosswind (reported) with no issues in my 6A with the larger 8 rudder. It was a flat area with no significant gusting. I don't believe 15 knots is the limit for a 6.

Larry

Last edited:
Back to your you will find that the -6 (or -7) are much less stable as an IFR platform than the Cherokee 140. The controls on the RVs way lighter in all axes than on your present stead, and the overall stability reduced.

I did my IFR training in my 6A and never used the autopilot once. It certainly takes time to get used to the sensitivity, but very doable.

Larry

There isn?t much difference in handling between the RV6 & RV7. It?s what you get used to, and you?ll get used to one as fast as the other. Is it as stable as your Cherekee 140?.... No. The built in dynamic stability of the Cherokee creates drag - from the long wing, and large download on the tail, it all helps to create a higher level of dynamic stability designed to overcome pilot inattention. You will have to pay closer attention in the RV when flying in IMC because it can more quickly deviate from your intended flight path if you aren?t paying attention. There is a payoff of course. The built in stability, along with other aerodynamic anomalies on the Cherokee cost you speed - from that long/fat/bent wing, highly downloaded tail, fairings designed by Fred Flinstone, and fat draggy fuselage costs you more drag induced speed loss than you can overcome with a big thirsty engine. RV?s excel at speed and efficiency. Get some decent training in an RV, and don?t skimp here. The RV?s are easy to fly, but they are different if you are used to a Cherokee. You won?t regret it. Nothing flies like an RV, outside of the US military.

I have landed in 28 kt direct crosswind (reported) with no issues in my 6A with the larger 8 rudder. It was a flat area with no significant gusting. I don't believe 15 knots is the limit for a 6.

Larry

Mine has the small tail. Plenty of rudder above 80. Below 70 in a crosswind the larger rudder is better.

Back