What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fusalege Spare Spacers f-1004-spcr

MElstien

Well Known Member
Fuselege Spar Spacers f-1004-spcr

Hello,

I am working on section 28 of a QB kit built in 2006, new to me. I have the QB wings as well. Section 28-9 has you attaching the 2 halves of the fuse and using F-1004-SPCRs to properly space the spars halves. It calls for Qty 13- 0.125 spacers and Qty 1 -0.625 spacers on the top and bottom of each spar.

If I add up the thickness it is 1.6875. I measured the thickness of the Wing spar that will eventually fit between these fuselage spars and they are 1.687-1.702 thick. The wood spacers that came attached are 1.625 thick.

So the wing spar width is slightly thicker than the space I am supposed to use between the fuselage spare halves. This part is already done, so I am checking it to make sure it is correct.

I am also making a wheeled dolly for the fuselage and plan on attaching the wheels to the spar halves so I re-inserted the 13+1 spacers and they are showing a space of 1.758, which is wider than it should be. ( the stock must be a bit wider than .125.

I also know the gear weldments have a spacer that fits between the spars (I took them off many months ago to clean the fuselage that had been in storage for some time. My spacers measure 1.69 wide. The plans calls for 1.6875 -0 + 1/64 so they are correct and they just fit between the spars with very little play.

What should this spar spacing dimension be at rest, meaning without spaces forcing a certain dimension? My reasoning is that the 4 spacers that fit between the spars as part of the gear weldment attachment will set this spacing at 1.690, which is closest to the wing spar thickness.

When attaching the wings, is there a friction fit to get the wing spars inserted between the fuselage spar? Using my measurements, there may be as much as a .012 friction fit between the 1.690 fuselage spacing and the max wing spar width of 1.792

Thanks

Last edited:
We have always used the spacers exactly as called for in the plans and the spar always fits just fine. Follow the plans & build on.

Back