What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally received QB Fuse & Wings!

ERushing

Well Known Member
After months of delay, I finally received my QB Wings and Fuse on Friday. Inventoried both kits over the weekend and am now ready to start working on the wings.

I noticed that on both the wings and fuse, there's a healthy coating of some sort of anti-corrosion slime covering everything. The guys at the dock thought it might be WD-40. I've searched this site and see some old posts but nothing recent.

Anybody have a method that works to remove this slime? Keep in mind that it's winter here in the Pacific Northwest so pressure washing is not a terribly attractive option...

Thanks for any advice!

Also note that the interior appears to have a light primer coat under the slime. I don't want to use Acetone for fear of damaging the primer.

Thanks!

Yes, interior of QBs are supposed to have a wash primer (SW?) already on.
I left any preservative on the exterior until ready to paint. Then the usual pre-paint prep took it off.

First Mistake!

Well - I found the first mistake... but not mine!

Looks like they forgot to thread the wing tie downs. Other than that, the workmanship looks pretty good. The slime is a little annoying though!

I've been following a few of you that are at various stages ahead of me (tail kit just shipped)
so I'm not really anywhere quite yet....

Somehow I'm sure I'll manage make mistakes/have questions on completely different topics/sections. :) Par for the course.

Look closely...

Check out the fuselage where the cabin top sits. All of the rivets there should be FLUSH, no 470's. In my kit, there were about 12 rivets that were wrong and it WILL cause you issues when trying to fit the cabin top. My tiedowns were not threaded either. I found several other errors along the way where rivets were installed when they should not have been, or not installed when they should have been.

None of the errors was earth shattering, and all were easily rectified...

I found several other errors along the way where rivets were installed when they should not have been, or not installed when they should have been.

None of the errors was earth shattering, and all were easily rectified...

Another example of the potential drawbacks to going with a quick-build, besides the extra cost. They still save quite a bit of time, although you should go over them with a fine-toothed comb.

Quick build delivery

Eric, I am jealous! I ordered my wings and fuse about 3 months ago. Can you give me an estimate of how long you waited? Please don't make me cry.

I'm afraid I'll make you cry

I'd have to go back and look at my paperwork (I'm traveling right now.) But my wings were originally supposed to be ready in the July/ August timeframe. They were ready to pick up the week after Christmas. I ordered the Fuse a few months after the wings and it arrived at the same time.

I'm under the impression that a logjam broke loose so maybe you won't have to wait as long as I did!

its probably coated with WD-40 to resist corrosion during a its travel via sea can across the pacific, my RV-9A fuse was coated too. I recall giving it a "car wash" per se, by hand, inside and out with some car wash solution and dish soap. Of course I lived in San Diego so it was quite enjoyable temp wise. I think my wife was in a Bikini:D

As to the threads and rivets...... its a QB, not a CB.

Back