What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Custom cables for quadrant ❓❓❓

romanov

Well Known Member
acscontorls-s_04.jpg

Hi Guys,

Anybody has expirience with producing completelly
cystom cables for quadrant control???

Thanks you all mighty builders.
Roman

Yes - custom cables

All mine were custom, made by mcfarlane. Do you have a specific question about them? I found out the hard way that it's not that obvious how to measure what you want. Take your time, and measure multiple times.

Nope, I ordered custom length cables from Vans:

CT Q- customer cables:
56 inches long, standard throw
57 inches long, standard throw
51 inches, 2.25 throw

I checked out your blog (very nicely done!) to look at your cable set-up. I will have a quadrant in my -14 and need to determine the correct cables and lengths. Can you explain which length cable goes to which function? Why the 2.25' throw on the 51" cable. On your blog, you mention that you had to get a longer arm for the prop governor - where did you purchase it from?

Thanks!

Vans supplied cables are CableCraft brand. California Push Pull at https://push-pull.com/ is a CableCraft distributor and can make whatever length and throw you need. You can also get the higher temp rated black sheathing (vs the green sheathing on the stock cables). Works best to call them so you get connected to the right person. I've had them make several custom cables over the years, easy to work with and quick delivery.

Last edited:
You may find, as a couple of us did, that the spring on the Hartzell prop governor is too strong, causing the prop lever in a quadrant to creep. Some of the aerobatic guys discovered this, too. Hartzell has a fix for it. We sent our governors to them and they replaced the springs with a weaker one. No problems now. We both have composite props, so it may not be a problem with other props.

California Push-Pull built custom cables for my throttle quadrant.

The method recommended by Geoff (AeroSport) was to use weed wacker line to run from the quadrant to each device (throttle, mixture, prop). Then remove and measure the line to determine length. Worked great for me.

Cheers,

Another +1 for California Push Pull. They make them custom, and you can get them in grey that are higher temp than the green that Van's buys standard.

Thanks guys, my controls do run smooth where they are, so I'm happy with how it came out. It's been long enough now that regarding part numbers and cable throws, I don't have any info stored in the brain anymore, so I have to read my own website to answer the questions. I do know that for the 2.25" throw, I wanted to make sure I could get 100% of the movement on which ever cable that was, so if you can get that much, it'll for sure be good. Mine is all working as it is now, no complaints.

Back