What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starting in the middle?

rdrcrmatt

Well Known Member
I'm considering the purchase of a mid-construction kit, but I'm a first time builder and that has me concerned that I won't be learning critical skills or understanding things as well I would if I started from scratch.

Besides not knowing what to look out for when buying a kit, can you guys share some insight as to why it would be bad to start mid-build as a first time builder?

You might consider getting that partly-started kit but also buying a new empennage kit. That's where most builders start and where the learning curve starts. I don't know the quality of build of the empennage of the kit you have in mind but it may have been that builder's starting point too. So you might do better. It's not a high cost item as these things go.

Just a thought.

You might consider getting that partly-started kit but also buying a new empennage kit.

I agree. Or if you don't want to buy an entire empennage kit, look at the plans and figure out what parts you need to build the vertical stab or the rudder or some other assembly. Van's sells some practice kits you can buy, too.

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/sto...-132-609&browse=misc&product=training-project

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1452503134-132-609&browse=misc&product=toolbox

Maybe don't build a whole tail kit, but look over the sub assemblies you get in your purchase; see if there are a couple pieces with blemishes and then build them over, maybe you'll do better, choose between yours and the original, either way, you learn. Just look at the plans/parts list and order what you need.

If the HS does not have the service bulletin modification done, I would suggest rebuilding it from scratch. That way you get the practice and can incorporate the mod as you build rather than tearing the current one apart. The HS is a little tricky with the new doublers. Be careful, do your research here and on builder's sites, ask questions. Every time you drill a hole make sure you have proper edge distance on every part. Edit: Just noticed in your signature looks like you're going to be building a 10 so this tail mod probably doesn't apply for that model.

The wings are easier than the tail, but more expensive in money and time if you screw up.

As far as learning to rivet - you can do that with scrap pieces. I would recommend learning to buck with an experienced person on the gun and how to run the gun with an experienced bucker, before you try to do both at the same time or team up with an inexperienced person on either end.

Last edited:
Do it!!

Don't be afraid to buy a project in progress. Make sure you have an experienced RV builder do a pre buy. Both of mine were projects in progress.

I was fairly new to metal work and had a lot to learn. There was plenty of work left to do and I feel comfortable having not built the tail group. The goal is to get a finished airplane.

You will save a bunch of money and a ton of time getting something that is well into the process.

The practice kit and the tail kit will get you up to speed. One thing I didn't do and wish I had is to have an experienced builder nearby walk me through some of the basic riveting and sheet metal tasks.

If you do buy a partially built kit you will still want/need to walk through the plans and mark off each step that has been done... By verifying against what you bought... Which takes a bit of focus...
I used a QB fuselage in my build and I bet I spent at least 20-30 hours uncrating, organizing and checking off each step that was complete. But that gave me a definitive starting point in the plans. Had I not taken time to do that I pry would have wasted double that amount meandering around on the build.

Completely Built Kit

Heck, I bought a completely built kit and am learning on that! :):) Don't worry, you'll learn to do all the stuff you need to do with a little practice and many hours on VAF and the EAA video site.

Don't be shy of a half built kit.
I bought a partially assembled kit. I then ordered the Van's practice airfoil kit and built that, wasn't pleased with the results so I ordered another and did it again. Money well spent and much more pleased with the second one. Practiced removing rivets and re-riveting. Gained confidence and felt ready after two practice kits. Got an experienced builder to check my work. Small investment and learned some necessary riveting and building skills. Heck, build three of them if you feel the need. Much less $$ that a complete tail kit.

workshops????

Matt, aren't you just an hour from Oshkosh?
aren't there about a zillion workshops and things there? ( someone mentioned Sporty's).
find some builders in your area, and go watch and 'help' them buck some rivets, it's often a 2-person job. Doesn't have to be an RV neither!
( plus you won't be putting big smiley's in YOUR skins! :D
I bought a flying RV, and have never done so much 'building' in my life!
you're always maintaining, modifying, improving etc. so the learning never ends......that's part of the allure of the whole 'speruhmentul aircraft world! :)

I bought a partially completed quick build kit. I sold the completed tail and bought a half built tail with tools and finished it. I was worried because I had very little documentation. Worked out great for me but it still took me 2000 hrs to finish!:eek:

I think you could save a lot by getting a prebuilt or partly started kit, but it does help to know what to look for. Like you said a new builder might miss things an experienced builder would see. Contact your local EAA chapter and find someone with spare eyes you can borrow. Worth every ounce of effort, those guys usually know a thing or two.

Back