What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Configurations

rolivi

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I've seen many Nose wheel vs Tail wheel threads, and many Slider vs Tipper threads.

But I'm curious if there is any corollary to be found where Nose people prefer Tippers while Tall people prefer Sliders.

And I guess for added fun we can add axis for C/S vs FP and Injected vs Carb.

Not sure Mag or No mag gets the same amount of discussion.

I've got 6A - Tip up - Fixed Pitch - Carb - No mag - 160HP

I'll chart replies and see what we might see.

Tailwheel -6, tip-up, Catto 3-blade, carb, 2 impulse mags, flying for almost 23 years.

If I built another one tomorrow, I wouldn't change a thing!

7, tip-up, c/s hartzell, horiz injected, IFR, dual Skyview, slick mag & lightspeed, 180, 10 yrs old, 1K hrs

N177RV

-6A, Tipper, 180hp, CS, FI, Bendix Mags, ---- other than weather-resistance, I'll take tipper, every time!

R.

N174RT

7A - Tip up - Constant Speed (WW 74RV) - FI (Airflow Performance) - 1 Pmag, 1 Slick Mag, 180+hp

Tailwheel 6, slider, 160hp O-320-D1A, Slick mags, Sensenich ground adjustable composite prop.

The slider is indispensable on hot Texas summer days for keeping cool while taxiing.

-9A, Tip-up, Fixed pitch (ground adjustable), Fuel Injection, dual P-mags, 160hp.

I have to duck when closing a slider, so no issues like that with a tip-up and a better view.

Harmon Rocket, Fuel Injected, Slider, constant speed , Mags, 275 HP

Sorry, not fair. ;-) Rockets are awesome, but not straight down the fairway of the RV family (at least for me; love to fly one someday, tho!)

Last edited:
I've seen many Nose wheel vs Tail wheel threads, and many Slider vs Tipper threads.

But I'm curious if there is any corollary to be found where Nose people prefer Tippers while Tall people prefer Sliders.

And I guess for added fun we can add axis for C/S vs FP and Injected vs Carb.

Not sure Mag or No mag gets the same amount of discussion.

I've got 6A - Tip up - Fixed Pitch - Carb - No mag - 160HP

I'll chart replies and see what we might see.

RV-8 - slider-FP-FI-1mag-180HP

Rv-6

dfxd6x.jpg
[/IMG]

RV-7A slider still building and had planned on P-mags with horizontal cold air sump, FI, FP.

Found a great deal on a engine that is ready to bolt on and go so am now going to be vertical carbureted with Slick mags until I can upgrade down the road.

Last edited:
Found a great deal on a engine that is ready to bolt on and go so am now going to be horizontal carbureted with Slick mags until I can upgrade down the road.

Really? Is this perhaps a type-o?

...and Tall people prefer Sliders.

I think you might find that many tall people prefer tippers so that they don't have to hunch over to let the aft canopy frame pass over them. Tippers come straight down.

As for me: 7A, tipper, FP, YIO-360M1B 180HP, injected/horizontal, 2x mags.

I'm interested to see how the numbers from your survey/research pan out.

Last edited:
Still building, but..

RV7, slider, horiz induction, IO-360, 1 mag, 1 EI, 3 blade Catto prop.

Config

9 Rebuild in Progress. Slider. 160 HP roller cam. IO-320-B1A, CS Hartzell, 1 slick, 1 Electro air

replies

Lots of replies... GREAT!

I'll close the comment period on 12/22 when my Christmas holiday begins and I'll compile the data in the shade of the Giant Sequoias.

Current Ride: -7, slider, CS, 205hp, FI, PMags.

Three prior now in the wild: -7, slider, CS, 180, Carb, one with mags, two with P-mags.

One prior now in the wild: -7, slider, CS, 195, carb, P-mags.

And I know a pilot who doesn't even lurk: -6, slider, CS, 180, FI, P-mags.

John Siebold

Back