What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long Island Trip

John Tierney

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I’m considering a trip from Knoxville, TN to New York to see family on Long Island. Route of flight would be up the Shenandoah Valley, west of DC and Philly (avoiding Camp David), to a point west of NYC.

I’d like some advice:
1. Convenient way to transit NY Class B west to east, with minimal over water time. My initial thought is stay to the north side of the Class B, near Westchester, then cross LI Sound.
2. Recommended transient airports on Long Island, including preferred FBO. The closest to my family is Islip (ISP), but Republic (FRG) and Brookhaven (HWV) would be easy drives (I grew up on LI and I know that statement depends on time of day).
3. Any suggested land-out fields in eastern PA or NJ for reasonable fuel prices, lunch stops, etc.

Consider coasting out around Sandy Point at 450 AGL and head NE to around Republic airport staying below the class B.

I either go over the top at 7,500 or like nohoflyer said drop to 1400 at sandy hook and then 450 along beach by JFK. Check the charts. ISP is expensive all around (welcome to the city area) HWV has the cheaper fuel, i don’t know about parking. I’m based on the north side of FOK, the restaurant there isn’t to bad, but fuel prices are through the roof. Give me a text and I’ll see if I can get you a tie-down there. Ben. Six 31 three ate 7 50 fifty-two

I’m considering a trip from Knoxville, TN to New York to see family on Long Island. Route of flight would be up the Shenandoah Valley, west of DC and Philly (avoiding Camp David), to a point west of NYC.

I’d like some advice:
1. Convenient way to transit NY Class B west to east, with minimal over water time. My initial thought is stay to the north side of the Class B, near Westchester, then cross LI Sound.
2. Recommended transient airports on Long Island, including preferred FBO. The closest to my family is Islip (ISP), but Republic (FRG) and Brookhaven (HWV) would be easy drives (I grew up on LI and I know that statement depends on time of day).
3. Any suggested land-out fields in eastern PA or NJ for reasonable fuel prices, lunch stops, etc.

Several of us frequent SkyManor N40 in NJ. Reasonable fuel prices and a good restaurant. My wife and I also fly to the Carolina’s to see our parents and to Quantico VA to see our son and just go down/up the coast. Beautiful flight. We usually try to go over the Bravo. I use JAMIE as a waypoint and can avoid the restricted areas. Cape May WWD is also a great stop. PM me if you would like to chat.

Brian

John.... I fly this route weekly as I commute from upstate New York to Long Island. From west to east I generally pick up Boston Center at 7,500 ft and they hand me off to New York approach about 20 miles west of the Bravo. The typical procedure is request clearance to Bravo at 5500 and I nearly always get a direct clearance to Republic. The other option is to stay below 3000 ft underneath the outer ring of the Bravo and South and West of the Westchester County Delta. Using that approach all you need to do is contact Republic Tower and tell them your position about 10 miles north of Republic and they will give you approach and Landing instructions. All in all very easy. Once you get there I highly recommend staying with Atlantic Aviation on the south end of the field. Very nice facilities, very friendly staff, could not ask for more!

No need to go over NY class B, controllers prefer to take VFR traffic right over JFK.

I always preferred to go over the top at 7500 or even better 9500. Sure ATC wants to give you a bunch of vectors, but you’re not even required to talk to them above the Bravo. Definitely call Ben the Flying EMT.. he’s local and one of the nicest guys out there!

Thanks everybody for the great information. Will definitely consider stopping at SkyManor N40 along the way.

FOK may be a bit out of the way, but I'm not ruling it out.

Can anyone share experiences with FBO's at Brookhaven. I had taken an area FAM flight/rental checkout with Middle Island (ISP) about 20-years ago, and it looks like they are still at ISP and HWV. I also see a company named Northeast Aviation but don't know if they are a traditional FBO.

Back