What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mud guards

hcccs

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of making a wall in the aft half of the wheel pants to prevent mud from entering, like a mud guard. Does anyone have sketches or other info of how it could be done.

I'm thinking of making a wall in the aft half of the wheel pants to prevent mud from entering, like a mud guard. Does anyone have sketches or other info of how it could be done.

I believe the pants on my -8 has what you are referencing. I wasn't the builder, but I assumed they were pursuant to the plans. These wouldn't completely prevent snow/mud from entering, but would prevent large amounts from collecting in the rear of the pants.

Attachments

• Wheel pants.jpg
    Wheel pants.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 97
My pants from Van's came with a back bulkhead. There is a small hole in the bottom of the pants (1/8") behind the bulkhead to allow pressure balancing in the closed off void so the wheel pant doesn't explode at altitude.

I've thought about doing that in my old VA-108 wheel pants.
Make a bulkhead out of cardboard or similar that will fit reasonably well.
Apply plastic or release wax to it.
Wrap it with a couple of layers of fiberglass that will extend 0.5 to 1" beyond the edges.
Rough up (coarse sandpaper) the 1" circumference inside the pant.
Wet the fiberglass with epoxy and install.
When dry, remove the cardboard bulkhead.
Finish the fiberglass until reasonably smooth.

Finn

I've thought about doing that in my old VA-108 wheel pants.
Make a bulkhead out of cardboard or similar that will fit reasonably well.
Apply plastic or release wax to it.
Wrap it with a couple of layers of fiberglass that will extend 0.5 to 1" beyond the edges.
Rough up (coarse sandpaper) the 1" circumference inside the pant.
Wet the fiberglass with epoxy and install.
When dry, remove the cardboard bulkhead.
Finish the fiberglass until reasonably smooth.

Finn

OK, so it's done. I used a thin piece of styrofoam and epoxied it in place and then put on two layers of glassfiber twill and some more epoxi. It came out fine.

Back