What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5 wires into capacitor, replacing with a terminal strip?

Solder sleeve

It will work but introduces more places for a loose connection.
Consider staggered solder sleeve joints.

I think that the Amazon terminal strip would be equally messy because it is 3 separate poles and would require jumpering, or only using one pole and leaving the other 2 poles unused.
How is the capacitor mounted? That may offer some options.
I'd consider crimping a ring terminal onto the end of each wire and bringing them together at a single screw binding post.

I've got 5 wires going into a 2200 uF, 50V capacitor, it looks bad and to me that means it's going to operate badly.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the circuit where you would want to share capacitance... Can you shed a little more light on what you're trying to accomplish?

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time visualizing the circuit where you would want to share capacitance... Can you shed a little more light on what you're trying to accomplish?

Here you are, going into and out of the capacitor:

Alt CB line
Gen CB Line
From External Alternator
From Rotax Generator (Reg R&B)

Dynon (2 red wires combined into one ring terminal)

I asked my SeaRey guru who built the electrical system about it:
"If I read this right, the lines come in from the voltage regulator (engine mounted PMG) and external alternator, go into the capacitor, then off to their CBs, switches, and power buss, is that to "smooth out" the power or something?"

and he replied:
"Correct. Rotax manual spec is required to have that capacitor in place to smooth out the voltage. If you placed a oscilloscope across the power it would look a heart monitor going wild. The cap smooths out the pulses.

The leads to Dynon can attach there or to any positive buss."

Attachments

• Capacitor spaghetti.jpeg
    Capacitor spaghetti.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
I think that the Amazon terminal strip would be equally messy because it is 3 separate poles and would require jumpering, or only using one pole and leaving the other 2 poles unused.
How is the capacitor mounted? That may offer some options.
I'd consider crimping a ring terminal onto the end of each wire and bringing them together at a single screw binding post.

A single screw binding post is sounding like a real good idea. ummmm..... where can I find one, Google is failing me. (humble, embarrassed look)

Something like this?

Found this picture...

IMG_2538_1.JPG

Are you looking for a bus bar for multiple circuits downstream of the capacitor? If so, Stein has some buss bar options:
https://www.steinair.com/product/buss-bar-with-four-10-studs/
https://www.steinair.com/product/buss-bar-with-ten-8-screws/

Here's what I mocked up last night, starting a 7 day trip tomorrow so I'll have time to think about it. Takes up some room that I'm not using anyway, but more importantly, it looks like everything flows smoothly into/out of (from L-R) the bus. Note that I have not yet trimmed the 4 wires going to the bus yet, they're just resting there to see if it was going to be a nice, natural curve/flow and not forced into place.

Safe Holiday, everyone.

Attachments

• 20211220_164407.jpg
    20211220_164407.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 89
Back