What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatics in an RV

How interested are you in doing aerobatics in your RV?

• My RV is not aerobatics capable.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • My RV is aerobatics capable but I am not interested in aerobatics.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • My RV is aerobatics capable and I would like to someday do basic aerobatics in it.

Votes: 56 28.0%
  • My RV is aerobatics capable and I already do some aerobatics with it.

Votes: 89 44.5%
  • My RV is aerobatics capable and I do Sportsman or higher aerobatics with it.

Votes: 20 10.0%

• Total voters

lluciani

I am in IAC chapter 25 (Brenham, TX). The chapter is thinking about hosting an Intro to Aerobatics for RVs day in the fall. If we do it, we will have experts on hand, loaner parachutes, safety inspections and safety pilots to fly with anyone new or rusty to aerobatics.

The format will probably be in the form of an RV Primary contest. If it is like the one we had a couple of years ago, it will consist of combinations of turns, loops and rolls - no spins, no sustained inverted. The idea is to make this entry level and safe to do in an aerobatic RV. Inverted fuel and oil is not required.

What do you think?

Luis Luciani
RV-8

Sure hope you are able to put this together; and, I also hope I can work it in. Sounds like a great idea.

Press on

I'm interested. Sounds like it'd be a fun weekend. Still sorry I missed the last formation clinic.

Just what I've been looking for

I've been flying my RV6 for over 2 years (240 hours), and have done some solo aileron rolls and wing overs. Previously did rolls and loops with Mike Seager in his RV6 during a transition flight.
I've been looking for an RV pilot with acro experience to fly with me. I've got two thin backpack 'chutes (1 for man, 1 for woman) that need repacking and sign off. So let me know when and where, and if it's in Texas, I'll be there.

For you 7 guys doing "Sportsman or higher", what prevents you from competing, if only to give it a try and have some fun? :)

The tyranny of distance

Texas is so far from California...

Count me in, as a participant and volunteer helper/host/organizer if you want to do one of these on the west coast somewhere.

Tim (looping and rolling is cheaper than a therapist) Cone

Fight tyranny!

Slick (Tim),

Perhaps we could fly form out and make it a dual-mission mission. We could practice rendezvous/rejoins for 2000 miles! It would be fun, and I'd love to learn how to do a good hammerhead! :rolleyes:

A little mini-contest would be kinda fun too.

All we need now is a surprise cache of gas money for the X-C! ;)

The concept really does sound like a great idea Luis. FWIW, I'd be game for fun stuff like this (especially closer to home, as Tim mentioned), but the time commitment to compete at Sportsman or higher, no inverted oil and a bit of a dislike for eyeball-out g keep me in the fun acro category. You may whet the appetite of some folks with events like this though, and its a great way to promote & teach safe aerobatics!

Oh, and Tim, have you been doing a lot of "theraputic" loops and rolls lately? ahem :p

(OBTW, dogfighting is also very theraputic...whaddya say...you, me, CPU at 7500' at high noon?) :D (You can go smoke-on when I gun your brains out! :cool:)

Cheers,
Bob

Good idea!

I am in IAC chapter 25 (Brenham, TX). The chapter is thinking about hosting an Intro to Aerobatics for RVs day in the fall. If we do it, we will have experts on hand, loaner parachutes, safety inspections and safety pilots to fly with anyone new or rusty to aerobatics.

The format will probably be in the form of an RV Primary contest. If it is like the one we had a couple of years ago, it will consist of combinations of turns, loops and rolls - no spins, no sustained inverted. The idea is to make this entry level and safe to do in an aerobatic RV. Inverted fuel and oil is not required.

What do you think?

Luis Luciani
RV-8

Did you have time set aside where the Safety Pilots did any instruction prior to the contest?

Slick (Tim),

(OBTW, dogfighting is also very theraputic...whaddya say...you, me, CPU at 7500' at high noon?) :D (You can go smoke-on when I gun your brains out! :cool:)

Cheers,
Bob

Nasty,

I'd love to dog fight with you...old age and treachery combined with a big engine and heavy airplane...that sounds like my kinda fun.

Only one question:

As a commercial pilot, can I charge for using my experimental airplane to give chiropractic adjustments. I figure you'll be spending enough time looking back over your shoulder...

Sounds Like Fun!

I'd fly down from KS for this event. It would fit perfectly with my experience (some) and my desires (learn more, maybe compete at Basic/Sportsman level). I look forward to hearing more as you get it put together.

Nasty,

I'd love to dog fight with you...old age and treachery combined with a big engine and heavy airplane...that sounds like my kinda fun.

Only one question:

As a commercial pilot, can I charge for using my experimental airplane to give chiropractic adjustments. I figure you'll be spending enough time looking back over your shoulder...

Well played sir...how 'bout I just pay ya back by cleaning the pipper burns off the back of your helmet for free!?! :p

Throwing that old age thing out there pretty loosely...don't forget what the old bull said to the young bull... ;) (And what's the delta anyway? :rolleyes:)

Bad thread drift (sorry Luis), but couldn't let that go unanswered! Slick and I both hope the event is a success, and generates more opportunities to do the same!

Cheers,
Bob

IAC

Luis, great post and hopefully you'll have many to attend and have fun. I strongly recommend anyone doing acro to become an IAC member. It's really cheap insurance. Whether you intend to compete or just fly sports type maneuvers, the magazine and members are extremely friendly and helpful to make this sport SAFE. One of the IAC competitors out of Mobile has been getting other members in northern FL and southern AL on the weekends to practice with members who have been judges to improve our maneuvers. With anything new, you'll need to start somewhere. There is the long IAC rule book, of course, but the simple check list before entering competition will be helpful. http://members.iac.org/contests/contest_checklist.html Note the aircraft limitations document.

Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider

texas aerobatics

Count another newbie in. Have rv4 so I'll need a light instructor. I prefer blonde with a sweet southern accent and less than 115lbs.

What do you think?

Luis Luciani
RV-8

I will try to attend, and will be happy to help in any way needed. I am just down the road from you in Columbus, and would love to be involved.

I love the poll results so far!!! Join your area IAC club...cheap and great people. Most everyone will offer you a ride in their acro ride if asked. Everyone will take you under their wing and walk you through the whole thing.......They want you to be part of their crowd! In our IAC19 we have Ron Shreck who came and kicked butt in his RV8 in the sportsman class

Different Strokes....

For you 7 guys doing "Sportsman or higher", what prevents you from competing, if only to give it a try and have some fun? :)

I guess you could ask the same question of the thousands of RV guys who could be on the cross-country racing circuit, but aren't...why not? Different folks just enjoy different things is all.....

I guess that to answer your question in my case, I simply enjoy going up and flying free-form acro - I don't feel the need to compete, or to make the perfectly circular loop. I like pulling a loop into an Immelman, rolling on an up line to make cloverleafs, and making up stuff as I go along. I used to enjoy hockey skates more than figure skates as well - I guess it is just how I am wired. I also don't like to get involved in an activity (especially a group activity) if I can't devote enough time to make ti worth everyone's while - and with all the building and flying we do, spending a weekend helping with (and competing in) a meet is just off the bottom of the priority list.

(I hate to mention this, but I do hope that if folks are doing Acro Instruction in -6's with parachutes that they do the W&B first BTW.....:eek:)

Paul

I see a lot of vids with people seemingly not wearing a parachute when "having fun", what's with that? thought it was required via the FAR

Not required if you are by yourself.

thats right...solo flyers can do as they want without a parachute...Read FAR'S 91.303, 91.305 and 91.307 fo a complete description of what you can and can't do next time you decide to have and abrupt change in Aircraft Attitude (aka...Aerobatics)

Nice to see the interest in the RV Primary Contest!

FYI - so far this year after (19) IAC contests, SONEX'S are more represented on the scene in the states than RV's! :eek: VAF member Ron Schreck being the only U.S. competitor. (one Canadian-registered RV).

Aerobatics?? I have enough trouble just getting the thing to fly straight and level - must be a rigging thing! ;)

Man these machines are fun :D

Nice to see the interest in the RV Primary Contest!

FYI - so far this year after (19) IAC contests, SONEX'S are more represented on the scene in the states than RV's! :eek: VAF member Ron Schreck being the only U.S. competitor. (one Canadian-registered RV).

I think Ron was given a stick in place of a pacifier when he was a baby.

What do you think?

Luis Luciani
RV-8

Luis,
Do you have a date set for this RV Aerobatic event?

Thanks,
Troy

Have an RV 6 and would like help on basic aerobatics. John Patton

John:

You have IAC Chapter 5 http://www.iac5.org/

and Chapter 12 http://www.iac12.org/

In your area....feel free to contact the one most conveinient to you and visit with them...They will love to hear from you and provide all the necessary help.

Let me know if I can be of any help personally.

U.S. National Aerobatic Championships
Sunday, September 19th through Friday, September 24th, 2010
Practice/Registration: Saturday, September 18th ? Sunday, September, 19th
Location: North Texas Regional Airport (KGYI): Sherman/Denison, Texas
Region: Regional Series Wildcard
Contest Directors: Doug Lovell and Vicky Benzing

Back