What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Florida

ColoradoSolar

Well Known Member
I am going to visiting my daughter in the Bradenton area mid April (luckily the week after Sun-n-fun).

This will be my first time flying in Florida so it would be nice to get some local opinions on things to watch out for airspace wise and info on which area airport would be best for about a 4 day stay.

Flying into Bradenton your options are limited to Sarasota International as that’s the only nearby airport. If you’re willing to drive more than 45 min then Tampa St-Pete airports become an option with Albert Whitted (KSPG) being the closest. Manatee (48X) is a 3100ft grass strip just to the north of Bradenton but it’s under a TFR due to a nearby phosphate mine settling pond whose containment wall has sprung a leak dumping contaminated water into Tampa Bay and there’s fear the whole wall may give way. Manatee would be my choice if the TFR gets lifted.

The Tampa airspace can get complicated at times due to the close proximity of Tampa International, St Pete-Clearwater, and MacDill AFB to one another. Best bets are to fly under the Class B to the East or hug the coast for a more scenic flight to the West. Tampa approach is pretty easy to work with.

Last edited:
Back