What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTP 59 install location??

Hey folks, looking for any advice on mounting locations for the Garmin GTP 59 temperature probe. If you use this unit where did you mount yours?

As with any Garmin device the install guidelines seem written like puzzle clues indicating only a single satisfactory spot if only you can decipher them. :p

To wit:

• Do not mount the GTP 59 where aircraft exhaust gases will flow over it.
  • Do not mount the GTP 59 where it would be affected by heated air from the engine or exhaust. On most aircraft this includes any location downstream of the engine compartment.
  • The GTP 59 must be exposed to the outside airflow. Do not mount the GTP 59 in a sheltered location where it is not exposed to outside airflow (for example, inside a wing or landing gear bay).
  • For best results, do not mount the GTP 59 where it will be directly heated by the sun when the aircraft is parked.
The last bullet would seem to indicate somewhere on the bottom of the aircraft and the first two would seem to discourage anywhere on the forward half of the fuselage. I can't recall seeing examples on other builders' websites. So, far back on the bottom of the fuselage or under a wing, perhaps?? (FWIW I plan to mount the GSU 25 in the empennage using Van's bracket.

+1 for inspection panel

I also mounted mine 1/2 way out on the right wing in the inspection panel. Works great.

Similar to the others except I mounted mine next to the inboard most inspection panel on the right wing and not on the panel itself.

I was 50/50 between under the HS or under the wing, but between the shorter wiring run and keeping weight forward I went with under the wing, and it has worked out well. The unit comes with about a 10 ft pigtail, so you can just run that into the fuselage and make a connection under the seats.

Back