What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shorai batteries

Flyyak

Well Known Member
Friend
I have read many of the post on VAF about Shorai batteries. I have a 7 and have gone through 3 odyssey batteries in 4 years. I have a standard Van?s battery box and just purchased what I thought would be a drop in replacement - a Fullriver FT 230 battery. It is just a fraction to wide and gets stuck about 1/3 down in the box.

I am ready to try a Shorai. Please post if you or anyone that you know had any issues in their RV with a Shorai. What particular Shorai unit have you used. I have seen LFX18 A1-BS12 but I have also seen other designations of LFX18 and I want to purchase the right one. Thanks

I’ve had good results (no issues) with Shorai. I changed it for a new one after three years and 178 hrs of air-time cause it wasn’t cranking as well as new anymore. LFX18 L1-BS12 puts the +/- terminals in the proper orientation for our application.

Be advised that while these little batteries appear to have great (better) cranking power, I believe they have less overall energy than a lead/acid 18ah battery. It depends on the rate of energy you draw from it. I have a backup alternator so I’m not too concerned about the difference in overall energy content. I like the weight savings (to more than offset the weight of my backup alternator and regulator) and cranking power.

Bevan

Last edited:
Using Shorai also. LFX18L1-BS12. Cranks over well. Treat it as a 6AH battery in conventional terms when it comes to slower current draw over extended time periods though. No issues to date. Never needs charging between uses of 1-2 months sometimes.

I have a Shorai and like it thus far. They have great customer support. Plenty of cranking power.

Battery management

Do these batteries need any other battery management like the Earth X does?

Do these batteries need any other battery management like the Earth X does?

Shorai engineers evaluated a BMS for their batteries and decided the disadvantages outweighed the advantages for their target market (which isn't aviation BTW).

Something that isn't there can't fail.

You should have an OV warning or automatic crowbar system in case the regulator goes nuts. Lithium batteries with their low internal resistance and mass don't take kindly to OV.

Thanks for the replies and I know that there are different opinions for the use of LiFePo4 batteries in aviation. It appears that even the most accepted brand of this type battery because it contains a BMS still has experienced some dissatisfaction in use.

My main question though is has anyone in the RV community or in aviation experienced a failure of a Shorai battery that would be considered to be unsafe in the operation of an aircraft.

I have read about member?s experiencing a leak or crack in an Oddssey battery that has caused corrosion. Even though this may not be a safety issue, it will certainly ruin your day if it happened to you. If anyone has experienced any type failure or has known of a failure either a safety issue or a maintenance issue, please let us know.

I also meant to reply how great this forum is as it relates to experimental issues. It is great to have so many really talented and wise folks that look at issues from different perspectives. It appears that a LiFEPO4 battery has a completely different chemical structure than it's predecessor Lithium Ion batteries and as such, do not pose the same fire hazard. If this is not true, please let all of us know but if it is true, then this type battery may be a great option for future aviation use. Just as glass panel technology was not accepted at first, it is now the high standard and pilots are flying in the clouds blind using this technology daily. So please send your comments both positive and negative so all can learn. Not necessarily your opinion but either your experience or your research. It will be valuable for all.

I have ordered a Shorai so can you share how to make and install a simple overvoltage protection or crowbar protection. Thanks in advance.

Back