What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking out Help to get started

johntlewis

I'm New Here
First time posting on VAF. Thinking about getting the awesome RV7a.

I know I will need a lot of help getting started and I'm trying to find someone in North Texas (DFW) or southern Oklahoma (including OKC) whose expertise can can get me going.

I found guys such as Gale Braden of Edmond, OK, Larry Hinton of Moore, OK, Gregory Dohrer of Justin, TX, Jay Pratt of Ft. Worth and Chuck Olmstead. (His web page just says East Texas.)

Two Questions....

1. If you know these guys, do they offer services for what I'm seeking? (how to use tools, rivet, get started, etc).

2. Can you recommend any of them and is there anyone else in my area you can recommend?

I'm ready to order my empennage kit kit but I feel like I need to know I have someone who can help before I take the plunge. Thank you so much!

The EAA course is a good start. Who knows when they'll be able to do those again but keep an eye out. Aside from that, have you searched for a local EAA chapter? It would be filled with mentor types. Looks like there's one in Sherman.

Welcome to VAF by the way!

John,
EAA chapter meet at David Perry airport in Goldsby on the second Saturday at 11:30 am usually for lunch and a meeting. Not sure if there will be a meeting this month yet.
I have 7A under construction at my house, currently working on wiring.
Would be happy to provide assistance, my cell is Eight zero-six 632 Five zero 21.
Alan

Hi Alan, thank you so much for offering your assistance. I will definitely be reaching out to you in the next few weeks. My hope is to buy the empennage kit sometime in August which gives me a little time (but not too much) to get ready to go. Thanks again!

Hi John.
I'm in OKC. Building an RV9A at 2OK2, Twin Lakes.
I sent you a private message. You're welcome to call or text me anytime you like. My number is (405) 417-6077.

Hi Alan, thank you so much for offering your assistance. I will definitely be reaching out to you in the next few weeks. My hope is to buy the empennage kit sometime in August which gives me a little time (but not too much) to get ready to go. Thanks again!

Help

John,
I am currently at the avionics stage on my RV-14A project and located in Washington, OK. Washington is just south of Norman and down the road from Goldsby's David J. Perry Airport. You could order the RV training project from Vans bring it to my shop in Washington and get some hands on practice. I have all the tools needed.

Hi John,

I can vouch for Jay Pratt. He helped me out with my 6A a while back. I would suggest you call him and tell him what you're looking for and he'll be straight with you if he can help, and if not he can point you in the right direction.

Louis
N32LC

Hi John,

I can vouch for Jay Pratt. He helped me out with my 6A a while back. I would suggest you call him and tell him what you're looking for and he'll be straight with you if he can help, and if not he can point you in the right direction.

Louis
N32LC

I agree, Jay is a great guy and has the experience to help you and he is a "straight shooter".

Back