What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Sun n Fun -- or not

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Airplane ready? Check
Pilot ready, instrument current, etc? Check
All packed for an early departure? Check
Origin weather good? Check
Destination weather good? Check
Thousand foot overcast all the way? Aw, (%*(*

300 foot overcast isn't something I want to fly over in case the engine goes poop. Synthetic vision would not help, and I've got SV.

And I really want to get there today, Monday, so I can check that my presentations are compatible with their computers. If I postponed the flight till tomorrow, then I'd have low ceilings in the destination area. Flying approaches to minimums is not the issue, the issue is flying over ceilings less than a thousand.

Not looking forward to the drive...

Last edited:
Ceilings

Where are you seeing 300ft ceilings? I'm flying down from Va today and the lowest ceiling I see on the route at present is 2400ft. Hope you delayed your drive.

I agree with the being uneasy flying over 300ft ceilings. I have done it before but I was very high and it was a small area of low ceilings

My plane is not IFR capable (yet), so while I was originally planning to arrive Tue morning, now looks like either Tue late afternoon after the airshow TFR, or early Wed morning.

Typical start to SNF week.
Front right across N Florida blocking arrivals.
At least this front is much weaker that the last few years and is passable.
Everyone enjoy the week. I am headed the other direction (Virginia) and will miss SNF for the first in many years.

Back