What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empty Fuse CG for Dolly

lr172

Well Known Member
Well, I delivered my new baby (QB kit) home yesterday from it's first owner. I need to make a dolly for the fuse. The 6 was light enough to drag around and work with saw horses. The 10 is a bit too heavy for that (I suppose me getting older is a factor as well).

I was thinking that the front of the dolly will support the fuse under the stiff rib a foot in front of the spar, but I don't know how far back the rear support needs to be. Is the bulkhead at the rear of the passenger seats far enough back or do I need to go to the rear baggage bulkhead?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Larry

ShowPlanes used to have a series of build photos on their 10 project, they had a really nice fuse dolly that attached at the spar stubs, and the step sockets. It was adjustable in height also.

I just checked and the photos are no longer on their site-----------but if you contact them, they might send you a shot of the dolly.

Here is what I ended up doing: http://karrelsj.blogspot.com/2017/02/fuselage-stand.html You cannot see it, but I built a cross bar in the back once I got the fuselage onto the stand.

That was sufficient to mate the tail, install the cabin top, and do everything that I wanted prior to putting it onto its gear and hanging the engine. It was nice having it on wheels, so I would recommend that. Also, that height ended up being just right to give me access to get underneath it for the antenna doublers, and tail mating, but made it not too high for climbing in and out when mounting the cabin top, doors, interior.

Jeff

I built a dolly wide enough to support the QB fuse on the main spar stubs and used the metal pipe through the step holes as the rear mount. Worked just fine. Here's a pic (click picture for larger image).

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I built one this weekend, similar to Kyles and it works well.

Larry

Back