What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What I want for my next panel upgrade

hobby_rv6

Some clarity -
about the timing of ADS-B ground station implementation in all of Texas and surrounding states, and the direction (and cost) that the various manufacturers are going to go, both TSO'd and otherwise (like Nav Worx).
My old King KT-76A transponder just keeps on squawking Mode C and my Ack blind encoder keeps on encoding, but my traffic information comes from a Zaon MRX stuck on my glare panel and my weather comes from XM radio on a Garmin 496.
But what do I want and what are my questions?
I want a to be able to display traffic and weather on my new Garmin G3X system which I am currently installing. The Zaon doesn't interface with anything (and wasn't designed to interface - I knew that going in). I did buy a GDU375, so I can get XM weather on the G3X.
My questions are do I go Mode S because it's here and the Trig 21 transponder looks enticing and affordable? Do I give up the enhanced information in TIS-B and FIS-B unless I install another box (like the Nav Worx, except that their web site doesn't show full implementation with the Garmin products)? All the hype suggests that for us under 18,000 ft flyers we should go ADS-B, not mode S, unless we want to fly our airplanes to any other country in the world, where Mode S is the only standard.
I am so confused --- so I'll just wait for the smoke to clear and keep my Zaon and use XM weather. Maybe by 2013 we will know more.
Hobby in my RV6

Edit: Oops, didn't read carefully enough, so disregard. Darn phone screen...

mcb

Last edited:
Back