What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN650 Power

P51Matt

I am in the process of wiring my panel and I am now on the GTN650. The manual says to use 18 gage wire for the power on the com side. I am having difficulty trying to get the wire into the d-sub pin. Does anyone have a trick to making the wire fit? I am trying to avoid having to trim the inner conductor wires since that would defeat the purpose of having the larger wire.

Thanks,

There are three power pins on the GTN-650 for COMM power, two pins for NAV power for just this reason (pins are too small for a #18 wire).

Use #22 wire in each pin, then splice the three comm power to a single #18 wire. The two NAV power wire to a #18 wire as well. Solder and shrink tube.

Be mindful of all the pins that go to ground. Here again use #22 wire and join all at a common ground.

Carl

Last edited:
They also make these special pins for that job (the 2 on the far right). Got them from Stein if I recall. Had to call them.

Just me

They also make these special pins for that job (the 2 on the far right). Got them from Stein if I recall. Had to call them.

Although you can use special contacts that have oversize barrels, I think it would be better to use thinner wires in multiple pins. The multiple pins for power and ground provide a more reliable power source (redundant contacts) and doesnt run the risk of overloading a single contact

Back