What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual PTT Switches - No Audio Panel

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
I am working on a plan to put a second radio in my -4. It?s primary purposes would be for formation. I already have a Bob Archer comm antenna in my LH wingtip. I?d like to add a 2.25? Becker radio.

What do I need to do to wire it into my system and not require an audio panel. I?d like both radios active, and have two separate PTT switches on the stick. I understand that I can?t just wire the radios into the jack because there will be an impedence issue.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Tinker

You might try this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=3831

Most use a single PTT with a selector switch to pick which radio transmits, but separate PTTs will work. Audio out can be summed through a pair of resistors & fed to the intercom, or in some cases, you could feed the 2nd radio into the aux input of the intercom. Depends on the intercom; some intercoms will mute the aux input when there's an active radio input signal or conversation on the intercom circuit.

How far apart are the two antennas? You may find that transmitter #1 ?bleeds thru? into receiver #2, rather annoying.

Most modern transceivers have 'suppression' interlock terminals. When wired together, each radio can suppress the other's receiver when it transmits.

Back