What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 deck angle

David-aviator

Well Known Member
Grove gear legs and tail wheel installed, the fuselage sitting on hangar floor looking like an airplane.

The main gear looks a bit tall resulting in a deck angle of 12 degrees.

Could someone measure their deck angle on the canopy rail just for comparison?

Thanks.

My finished and flying RV-8 shows 11.1 degrees at the canopy rails. The tire inflation, tread wear, and its standard Vans gear probably accounts for the delta :)

Just checked mine. Grove 1 piece gear, Bell fork and engine not installed. 12.6*

Hi David,
Just measured mine, 11 degrees. I have the grove gear with a Bell tail wheel fork and stock wheel, that may account for the 1 degree difference.

Standard Gear Legs

Does the standard (Vans) gear legs give the same angle (aka. height above ground) as Grove? :confused:

Does the standard (Vans) gear legs give the same angle (aka. height above ground) as Grove? :confused:

Peter,

I am reasonably certain it does. The differences we see here are not much and may be the result of the tail wheel variances.

My brain is accustomed to looking at an "A" model and first impression of seeing the 8 on its wheels is WOW, that nose sure is high.

Back