What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell CS runs up does not work in the air

Clearprop

I'm New Here
The good news.... there is a "new" RV6 flying N953BL took to the skies on January 14, 2012 for its maiden voyage. Flies hands off and only one "grin buster". We have a Hartzell HC-C2YK-1B on an O360-A1D that came off a 180hp Piper Arrow. The governor is a McCauley that was rebuilt by a reputable prop shop about 2 months ago. Everything works as it should on the ground. The prop control comes back, the MP goes up I have tried it at 1800, 2000, and 2200 rpm. In flight I climb at 2500 and 23" but that is as far back as I can get the rpms to go. When I level off I have to back down to 15" or less to keep the prop under 2600. The prop control seems to do nothing in the air. Back on the ground and the prop cycles, not as aggressively as on the run up, but it cycles. The crankshaft was sent out and reworked, new bearings were put in. No plugs were removed on the crankcase. We have greased the prop hub and the blades move smoothly but not real easily. I have a hard time believing that we are having a leakdown problem in the case, but will try to check. Could it be that the hub is too tight on the blades? This prop was rebuilt in 2005 and sat in a heated/air conditioned bedroom until we started the engine last year. I have had a CS prop airplane for 20 some years and never ran across anything like this. Its a head scratcher for me. Any ideas will be welcome, specially those that don't involve cracking the engine case. Those involving sacrificing a chicken will be suspect.

Thanks!
Erik

You need to find a copy of the Lyc. service instruction (don't remember the # right now), that deals with doing a leak down test on the nose section of the engine. This will tell you whether it could be engine related, or to focus on the prop. and gov.

Gasket

It's probanly not your problem but i had the opposite problem on my forst engine run. It was staying at low rpm when i was cycling the prop. It was not the good gasket that came with my gouvernor and was preventing some movement of the oil.
It was happening on the ground too

Vinh

Back