What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First night VFR on my 8!!!

Congratulations.

Fernando, I remember the IFR restriction that you posted about a few years ago.

What did you have to do to get them to allow both IFR and Night flight? Is this for all experimentals or on a case by case basis?

Best,

Fernando, I remember the IFR restriction that you posted about a few years ago.

What did you have to do to get them to allow both IFR and Night flight? Is this for all experimentals or on a case by case basis?

Best,

Hi Pierre,

This is for all experimental in Chile:D

I have to study a lot your FAR and regulation and show Chilean FAA that flying an experimental plane at night is not more dangerous than flying a certify one, also I manage to prove them that flying IFR is safer than VFR, that was using Chilean FAA statistic that shows 8 fatal accident here in Chile from planes flying VFR that flew into IMC, but there is no accident of planes flying IFR flew IMC, at least at Chilean records.

Now our new fight is GPS approaches and RNAV, is not going to be easy but we will:D

Cheers,

Fernando

Now our new fight is GPS approaches and RNAV

Is there another way :D

Good work and good luck. With regulators there is always a battle and you need to work hard to battle the stupidity.

Is there another way :D

Good work and good luck. With regulators there is always a battle and you need to work hard to battle the stupidity.

Our general and comercial aviation here in Chile is not so bad, but all advances come from private fighting again (no with) government agencies. All GPS aproaches here in Chile has been made and paid by Comercial Operator and then give it to Chilean FAA, we don't have ADS-B and they almost don't know it exist, we don't have ground weather radars or even an ATIS in all country:confused: but they spend all money and they have a lot, hiring retiree people from Air Force:mad:

All pilot here in Chile want to have a Civil Avition Agency in the near future:p

Cheers,

Fernando

Wow. Congratulations and keep up the good fight. :)

Do you expect to be able to create an approach? Or do you think the cost will be prohibitive for an individual or small group of individuals?

I think that would be very cool to have developed an approach (at my home airport for instance) :cool:

I know that MGL Avionics has an internally built system whereby you can create what they call, a "GLS" approach to anywhere, or coordinates to your house, for example, with both vertical and lateral guidance. This system would fit right in, in Chile.

Perhaps GRT and AFS has the same capability.

Best,

Creating a GPS approach to a safe cloudbreak isn't difficult. My partner has created one for our airfield both in the Garmin 695 database and a printed copy just like a Jepp plate.

Looked at local obstacles, create an IAF, and FF and MAP, define the go around to the hold and bingo, you are there.

Ours terminates at an MDA of 450', runway is at 26' amsl.

Now - this is for day vfr use, but then, you never know when things may suddenly deteriorate - eh ;)

Congratulations

Congrats on your victory. IFR and night flying are a big part of our sport. You have shown what can be done by perseverance and intelligence. Fly on!:cool:

Pierre,
Yes the GRT stuff has "synthetic approaches" to any airport that has GPS data in the EFIS database (from GRT or put in by the user).

Mike,
The approach you are speaking of. Is that now publicly useable as a published approach or does it remain something that the locals use privately?
If it is a published one, good on ya!

Legal GPS approaches

Here in Chile to legally fly a GPS approach you have to design the approach using appropriate criterial and give the aproach plus the disign study to Chilean FAA to be aproved and published. I think it will cost lot of money, probably more than my plane to make a GPS aproach for one runway.

Back