What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI 180 HP 340

At 340 cu-in displacement, I bet it's a development of the IO-340 stroker that ECI already offers as a non-certified kit engine. The plenum & oil cooler setup looks pretty slick.

I assume it's a typo, but that page states 180 hp for takeoff and 80 hp continuous--not too many engines out there with a continuous power rating of <50% max power...

It's NOT a typo!

At 340 cu-in displacement, I bet it's a development of the IO-340 stroker that ECI already offers as a non-certified kit engine. The plenum & oil cooler setup looks pretty slick.
I assume it's a typo, but that page states 180 hp for takeoff and 80 hp continuous--not too many engines out there with a continuous power rating of <50% max power...
This rating is to get around the "maximum level cruise speed at "rated hp" for the Light-Sport Super Sport Cub". The engine is rated this way so that the maximum continuous hp will keep the Cub replica within light-sport parameters. It's a "loop-hole" thing dreamed up by Cub Crafters.

Last edited:
Bill,
It looks like a variant of their XIO-340 engine. See

http://www.eci.aero/exp/IOX340stroker.aspx

Lycoming also made a 340 variant of their 4 cylinder engine. 340 Lycoming and ECI engines have the same bore as the more common 320 and 360 cubic inch models. The 360 cu models have 1/2" more stroke than the 320 cu models. The 340 cu engines have 1/4" more stroke than the 320 engines. This engine line was developed by ECI for older model Lancairs. Lancairs are very tightly cowled. The reduction in stroke allows the 340 engine to be 1/2" narrower than a 360 engine. The Lancair guys can often fit a 340 engine into certain models, which won't take a 360 (with stock cowl).
I suspect that the 80 hp continuous rating is done for insurance and airframe design limitations. Piper did the same thing with Lycoming 320 cu engines in the 1960s. Remember that the original Piper Cubs had 65 to 85 hp engines in them.
Charlie Kuss

Back