What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 N783V: My 1st Emergency

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
[ed. Posted in 'What did you do this weekend' by Randy Vanstory. Copied here with thanks to Randy for sharing. v/r,dr]

(Randy)"Flew my newly minted RV-10 on it's first cross country pleasure trip to Page AZ. Flew in Thursday, almost got myself killed with stupid pilot mistakes (multiple). Realized afterwards that the cockpit camera was on the whole time. Here's a YouTube video for those who wish to learn from someone else's stupidity! (It is embarrassing to admit, but hopefully, someone will learn from it.)"

Video at: https://youtu.be/lZPDfZArP_Q

VAFDR_13 Mar. 29 17.22.jpg

Last edited:
All I can say is wow!

One nice feature of the GI260 AOA indicator (mounts on the glareshield) is it has a 'Mute' button on it and shows visually right in front of you something is amiss, I figured out how to shut off the noise one day after leaving the pitot cover on (behavior is the same as an iced up probe). Very distracting to say the least, of course you have to realize what's causing the noise first.

Might be a good exercise for folks to cover up their pitot and see what it does to your glass panel when flying.

Although I love the looks of the panel I think it offers a good lesson on panel ergonomics as well, constantly leaning over to set up the GTN looked like a real problem, doing that with no AP is always going to put you in a bank. A couple of times there it looked the bank angle was quite steep, almost the beginning of a spiral. Looked scary.

Probably not a good idea to start pulling breakers/trouble-shooting when in that situation, you were forgetting to fly the plane and could have very easily made things worse.

Congrats on making a safe outcome and keeping your head, the situation could have easily ended badly.

Thanks for sharing!!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing!

I really appreciate you shedding your ego and sharing this with the community. Congrats on safely getting on the ground!

Many good lessons for sure...thankfully they were shared voluntarily and not in an NTSB report.

I am still not sure how I feel about in-flight videos. Most airline pilots (myself included when I flew airline) are adamantly opposed to them, yet in GA they are becoming ubiquitous. Wonder about the conscious or unconscious influence filming has on aeronautical decision making?

Thanks for sharing!

"Pilot Error"

I see in the video the poster blames pilot error. I don't like the term "pilot error", it's used as a "pilot did something dumb", and ends the analysis there. Lets start asking "why" as well. Why did a pilot make the error? Why did a pilot get into the situation to make the error? Once we know how a pilot was put into a situation to make the error, we can work to eliminate the situation. Change the situation so the error isn't available to make.

I'll pick the easy one in the video, pitot icing. Bigger planes fly with the pitot heat always on. It's turned on before take-off and turned off after landing. Doesn't matter the weather. Had the pitot heat been turned on prior to take-off as a matter of SOP, the error of "forgetting the pitot heat in IMC" wouldn't be available.

There's only one person on the planet with the whole story, and account of events. That person should ask themselves the "why?" question sufficient times to know how situation permitted the error to be an option.

All I can say is wow!

Although I love the looks of the panel I think it offers a good lesson on panel ergonomics as well, constantly leaning over to set up the GTN looked like a real problem, ....

Perhaps there is a reason the GTN installation manual specifies a maximum distance from the primary AI. Likewise, the back up mini efis needs to be close enough to be in your typical scan - otherwise it loses much of its value. The pilot clearly isn’t used to scanning it - just an quick glance up from the GTN should have shown the bank.
Flying in visible moisture at and below freezing requires extra vigilance. Clearly pitot heat should have been on. Not to scare you any more, but since you were getting pitot ice it’s quite possible you were also picking up some airframe ice as well.
And of course, you know you broke a cardinal rule - flying vfr into IMC, and then, not doing a 180.

Over all, you got thru it without a disaster, so a good learning experience. In that spirit, may I offer a few suggestions for next time?
1. “With you” is jargon, totally unnecessary. Worse, the meaning is, “controller I WAS WITH told me to call you, so here I am, now WITH YOU.” Point is, if you use that phrase when you just ‘pop up’ (more jargon!) some controllers will think they missed a handoff and are now confused themselves.
2. Always identify the procedure with its full name, e.g., “RNAV gps 15 Paige”, not just ‘15 approach’. That will avoid questions like, ‘Are you requesting the visual?’ . And I personally have been given vectors for the same approach at the wrong airport. This is one area where you want to be clear.
3. Think (now, on the ground) how you will handle future failed airspeed occurrences. Your GTN, and probably the efis can display gps ground speeds, which are fine for cruise. For approaches, assuming zero wind or a headwind, just go for your usual approach speed if down low. For Page, I’d increase ground speed by about 10% (cold) or 15%(hot) to account for density altitude, and also add in any tailwind. Be careful, your true airspeed at page will look faster than you’re used to, due to the density altitude.
4. You do understand, between your phraseology, and difficulty holding heading, this controller treated you as an emergency? No big deal, that’s their job.

Many good lessons for sure...thankfully they were shared voluntarily and not in an NTSB report.

I am still not sure how I feel about in-flight videos. Most airline pilots (myself included when I flew airline) are adamantly opposed to them, yet in GA they are becoming ubiquitous. Wonder about the conscious or unconscious influence filming has on aeronautical decision making?

Thanks for sharing!

Watch this video until the end. The camera was never very far from this student's mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5nBt_ogi7U

NASA ASRS Report

Thanks for sharing!

Coming from an airline career, I also have a level of discomfort about video in the cockpit.

The OP clearly has a good safety attitude as shown by the willingness to make this public. But it is never certain how a regulator (FAA) would interpret the several mistakes documented in it.

My suggestion as a CFII would be to consider filing a NASA report through the ASRS system if not already done, or for the OP to at least discuss this with people in his circle of aviation friends for their advice.

https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/report/caveat.html?formType=general

There was some degree of special handling from the controller, who expressed some surprise that pilot was flying in actual IMC without a “flight plan.” So it is never certain where this situation can lead.

It appears to be still within the 10 day period for immunity if any enforcement action would arise, however unlikely. Arguably there is a documented basis for this in the video, such as intentionally entering IMC without a clearance, all confessed and fully documented on the video, as one example.

I join with others in feeling the OP has helped all of us by sharing his experience.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I know that I over study these types of events when they happen to me to extract as much learning as possible for the next flight. Going through your experience in my mind helps to broaden that learning. I was able to put myself in your shoes mentally and think through what I would have been feeling and what I should have done.

Glad that it ended well.

Larry

My suggestion as a CFII would be to consider filing a NASA report through the ASRS system if not already done, or for the OP to at least discuss this with people in his circle of aviation friends for their advice.

I agree with all you comments. FYI, I have already submitted the NASA report through the ASRS system as you suggest.

Also want to say thank you to all that have shared encouraging words for deciding to share this video. My intent was to help other pilots that may find themselves in the same situation. Hopefully it won't come back to bite me from FAA by sharing this documented event publicly.

Upon more reflection, there were many more mistakes made in that moment of stress. It was eye opening to experience how much competency was lost in this moment of high stress. Gives me a new appreciation of why one should never put themselves into that type of scenario.

I also agree with others comments and suggestion of how to do it better next time and what else could have gone wrong. All very good insights!

Hopefully it won't come back to bite me from FAA by sharing this documented event publicly.

Hopefully the FAA sees the educational and safety benefit to the international GA community by sharing this. There is, at present count, 955 views on this thread. Meaning 955 people who have learned from sharing this experience and are less likely to repeat it themselves. If it comes back to bite you, that's a huge discouragement to, A: do the right thing by getting away from terrain and getting an IFR clearance. Then B: share the story for others to learn.

If the FAA bites you for this, that's detrimental to aviation safety.

Checklist check list

As our airplanes are becoming more sophisticated, you may want to consider a checklist to handle more abnormalities and emergencies. Include your equipment manufacturers in your checklist development while you are sitting in your nice warm hangar. The checklist would have directed you to select pitot heat “on” or encourage you to reset. It may also prevent you from pulling an important breaker while troubleshooting. The only thing you have to remember is to find the checklist.

"George"

Not sure if the poster said he had an autopilot or not.
My own personal rule when entering clouds is hands off the controls. Heading bug controls all turns.
Pitch trim if an altitude change is needed, but locked in hold when appropriate.
I taught hundreds of pilots to transition to glass when synthetic vision first appeared as Sierra Flight systems. Information overload was a commonly observed event. Extraneous noises from either the radio system or avionics alerts are something that can "capture" a good bit of our brains attention. Exploring these various sounds while in the hangar and learning what to do about them is valuable.
The information overload was apparent to me when he broke out of the cloud for a while, but just continued back into the clouds. He said he was not familiar with the terrain. Well, the terrain is why you go to Page. It is gorgeous.
He might have been able to cancel IFR in seconds by just dropping lower out of his situation. From what I saw, there weren't any lower "layers" that would present issues.
Bruce Landsberg at AOPA has lectured often on goal fixated pilots. We all have experienced that "mission" mindset and don't like to do a 180. Not sure there is a ready cure for that.
Two conclusions here for the poster. You have given us a lesson, captured in crystal clear audio and video of what you encountered. Priceless. Good on you and thank you.
Second, you took the time to get IFR rated. I personally think it should be almost a requirement for some missions and flights. Particularly that far from home, as he was. Watching that attitude indicator rock back and forth, without immediate correction had certain muscles tightened to the extreme as I watched. I am glad you lived to enjoy the 10, and offered to help all of us to be better.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing! Lessons learned to all on how task saturated we can become when this scenario happens.

I do want to point out to all of those flying with a Garmin GMC Autopilot Controller and why it is highly recommended. Blue Level Button. This could have helped take care of the airplane for that initial moment of stress. Then you can work out your heading/altitude needs and equipment setup.

Last edited:
Thank you for the post.

As a builder without avionics yet my question is the availability with Garmin, Dynon, GRT etc. of a Silence button to cancel warnings. Having something like a master caution Master warning button that cancels the sound would enable more brain cells to focus on other issues alleviating overload.

I'm not sure a master cancel is a great idea, but I can attest from experience that a constant alarm is distracting as heck. I did some engine out practice at altitude last week, and the gear alarm is very loud and made thinking quite difficult.

Wow

Lots of good comments;

Also, lots of Monday morning quarterback comments, as well...It is really easy to do this from the desk chair...

In reference to this comment:

"I do want to point out to all of those flying with a Garmin GMC Autopilot Controller and why it is highly recommended. Blue Level Button..."

In this situation, it would not have helped, as the autopilot disconnected with the failure of a pitot/static instrument...

I am with the rest of the airline guys concerning video on the flight deck, however, this particular video does have quite a few teaching points...thanks for that.

In my case, I opted for the Garmin regulated pitot...it gets turned on in the after start checklist, and turned off in the shut down checklist...

On my system...

which is dual G3X/G5/GTN750, if the temperature reaches near freezing I get an annunciation on the G3X in yellow that says PITOT HEAT if the pitot heat is not on. Might try to make that happen in your setup.

Good take away for anyone is know your equipment.

I'm sure it's happened to all of us, under stress you start fumbling around doing what you think you're trying to do. I remember one time I was highly challenged to dial in a VOR on my G3X. For whatever reason at the time it was completely foreign to me.... after getting vectored and destressed I was able to remember in about 10 seconds how to do it.

VFR into IMC........

Raised my blood pressure just watching it! Wasn't until the engine shut down I realized how tensed up I was!:eek::eek::eek:

"I do want to point out to all of those flying with a Garmin GMC Autopilot Controller and why it is highly recommended. Blue Level Button..."

In this situation, it would not have helped, as the autopilot disconnected with the failure of a pitot/static instrument...

I was primarily referencing at the very beginning of the situation when IMC was entered and systems were being searched (well before the freezing pitot incident). That could have shed work load at the very start of the scenario (aviating), before moving onto the other concerns (checklists, navigating, communicating).

Last edited:
Frozen pitot and in-cockpit indication

A blocked pitot "classically" presents with a fixed airspeed display that only changes with changes in altitude. However, the OP stated that the airspeed went to zero rapidly. I assume that was because of the small water drain hole towards the rear of the probe that remained open to ambient air pressure??

I searched the G3X touch pilot guide but could not find a description of what the pilot can expect to observe in the event of an in flight blocked/iced pitot.

I would like to understand how the AOA system works and why it sounded a warning, as well as why it stopped giving the aural warning after breakers were pulled and pushed in again.

I also want to thank the OP for posting this experience.The events and the ensuing discussions are of great value.

Johan

This might be something we discuss with the providers of our EFIS/autopilot combos. I've read about several cases where APs throw in the towel right when you need them the most. Seems like they would say "gosh, can't quite see how fast you are going, dude, but I'm gonna try to keep the shiny side up for you."

which is dual G3X/G5/GTN750, if the temperature reaches near freezing I get an annunciation on the G3X in yellow that says PITOT HEAT if the pitot heat is not on. Might try to make that happen in your setup.

I believe this feature is only available with the -20 version of the GAP26 regulated pitot tube. Nice feature though otherwise the more budget conscious still has to keep an eye oat when in clouds.

Might be a nice option to have a temp alarm display available when in freezing OAT's or have the OAT turn yellow?

Another suggestion would be to offer a 'mute' discrete input to be able to silence annoying warnings. I can silence AOA/stall warnings with the 'Mute' button on my GI260 but many folks don't install that (I think the 260 is a great option (and cheap) and the OP probably would have picked up on the loss of AS had he had the AOA indicator going nuts directly in front of him).

Last edited:

Can’t you share how you did this? I’m interested in adding it to mine.

[ed. Posted in 'What did you do this weekend' by Randy Vanstory. Copied here with thanks to Randy for sharing. v/r,dr]

(Randy)"Flew my newly minted RV-10 on it's first cross country pleasure trip to Page AZ. Flew in Thursday, almost got myself killed with stupid pilot mistakes (multiple). Realized afterwards that the cockpit camera was on the whole time. Here's a YouTube video for those who wish to learn from someone else's stupidity! (It is embarrassing to admit, but hopefully, someone will learn from it.)"

Video at: https://youtu.be/lZPDfZArP_Q

View attachment 9821

Randy, that was a tense few minutes and I felt as if I was right there with you. Thank you for sharing just how vulnerable we are to making mistakes that can put us in a more difficult situation than we need to be in. Despite the mistakes made, you did an excellent job of keeping your wits about you. Most importantly, you never gave up!

Thanks for sharing. Most all of us have done something we are not proud of at some point. It takes a lot of guts to admit it on a public forum. It looked to me like you were pretty comfortable with the use of your equipment and that was a big plus. One thing that concerned me that I didn't see anyone else mention was resetting breakers in the clouds. I don't know what they controlled but reaching across to get to them you could have inadvertently pulled one causing the a reboot of one of your screens. That might really add some excitement. Glad everything had a happy ending.

Thanks for sharing. Most all of us have done something we are not proud of at some point. It takes a lot of guts to admit it on a public forum. It looked to me like you were pretty comfortable with the use of your equipment and that was a big plus. One thing that concerned me that I didn't see anyone else mention was resetting breakers in the clouds. I don't know what they controlled but reaching across to get to them you could have inadvertently pulled one causing the a reboot of one of your screens. That might really add some excitement. Glad everything had a happy ending.

Someone else did mention the breakers and you are SO RIGHT! There were so many more things that could have gone badly, and it's only by the grace of God that they didn't. (Ice on wings, screens going blank, inadvertent entry into a spiral, etc...) As I have been reflecting on this situation, and doing my own "armchair evaluations", I wanted to also share what I think was the most valuable lesson for me to learn.

I was AMAZED at how much, how fast and far my competency and decision making ability eroded under the weight of stress. I have never felt more incompetent in a plane. I am usually very comfortable with my systems and the plane itself. Under the stress, I was nothing more than a bumbling idiot. Even the simplest of task (setting a heading bug, activating an approach, etc...) seemed hard and confusing in the moment. It truly is hard to describe how much competency was lost in the stress of that moment.

So, the lesson about the importance of turning around and not putting yourself in that situation only answers the question of WHAT not to do. But the question of WHY you shouldn't do it is equally (if not more) important. It is because of the loss of your natural abilities under stress.

Some of you have been there in your own situations and know exactly what I'm talking about. Others of you have not had your "experience" yet and I pray you never do. Trust me when I say this, magically your brain will get sucked out of your head under the stress. It's real, it happens very fast and once it has happened the mistakes will only begin to pile on, not dissipate away.

Lots of good comments;

Also, lots of Monday morning quarterback comments, as well...It is really easy to do this from the desk chair...

I am with the rest of the airline guys concerning video on the flight deck, however, this particular video does have quite a few teaching points...thanks for that.

In my case, I opted for the Garmin regulated pitot...it gets turned on in the after start checklist, and turned off in the shut down checklist...

So many questions could be answered by having cameras in cockpits, particularly during accident investigations. I'm surprised they are still blocked.

I do want to point out to all of those flying with a Garmin GMC Autopilot Controller and why it is highly recommended. Blue Level Button. This could have helped take care of the airplane for that initial moment of stress.

Due to the clogged pitot, tho OP's airspeed indication was below stall. The AP will not engage at speeds below stall.

In the video, the system indicates a manually-induced autopilot disconnect. This is identified by the AP indication on the AFCS status display flashing yellow. This would have been commanded by pressing the autopilot disconnect button, or by a pilot-commanded trim input.

An automatic, system-induced disconnect or failure would be indicated by the AP indication on the AFCS status display flashing red.

After the autopilot was manually disconnected, the flight director was still working to steer the aircraft in NAV/ALT modes. In this particular case, the autopilot would still be operational (Level Mode would be an option), even in the event of total airspeed loss and could have been re-engaged at any time. This can be tested while on the ground (at zero airspeed), and engaging the autopilot to observe the system following the flight director. This is also a common pre-flight check of the autopilot system for functionality.

BR,

Team X

Last edited:
In the video, the system indicates a manually-induced autopilot disconnect. This is identified by the AP indication on the AFCS status display flashing yellow. This would have been commanded by pressing the autopilot disconnect button, or by a pilot-commanded trim input.

BR,

Since the point of posting this is for us all to learn together, help me understand better the conditions necessary for AP disconnect as well as the annunciations that follow.

According to the G3X pilot operating manual (page 316), it says a loss of sensor data will disengage the auto-pilot. I lost air data inputs, so wouldn't this disengage the AP? It also says that it will flash red, as you stated. (see pic #2)

But, on page 369 it states that a "flashing yellow annunciation indicates a loss of sensor (ADC - Air Data Computer) data" (see pic #1) These two statements seem to conflict with one another. Flashing red or flashing yellow??? It appears to me, it could be either.

According to Garmin guide, if I lose ADC sensor (air data information), auto-pilot will disengage on it's own and it will flash yellow mode annunciation. Both of which happened to me.

I REALLY don't think I manually disengaged the AP. There was a sudden pitch up at the exact moment the alarms started going off. I think the system performed as it was designed and disengaged on its own. Am I wrong?

Another big lesson, USE the LVL button!! AP would have re-engaged without airspeed IF I had used this valuable option (I did not).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 10.51.59 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 10.51.59 AM.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 11.08.31 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 11.08.31 AM.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 127
Hi Randy,

If you have a flight log available for this flight, that will certainly help us unpack any system commands or inputs. Check your PMs for more direct contact info! It will certainly help us discuss and diagnose!

BR,

Last edited:
Thank You

I also want to thank the OP for their sharing! So valuable to anyone who is willing to learn and advance their knowledge base.

I learned a lot from your video / audio overlay, thank you!

When does the A/P disconnect?

Also thanks for this posting and thanks for Garmin for helping with the operation of the A/P. Seems logical that the A/P would disconnect but also seems logical that the A/P would help us "keep the shiny side up". Recently I lost GPS on the 750 and the A/P disconnected which at the time seemed logical but a little inconvenient as I was in the final stages of my approach. I always thought the A/P was just a luxury and hand flying the airplane is what I was trained to do but you know the drill. I guess I need to read the operating manual more carefully but it is long....... I have to admit I would have been a little more than tense under those conditions when all of a sudden the A/P turns into my enemy. For me I knew all I had to do was a few minutes of "aviating" but for this person he had a very uncertain time period to endure. Hats off for staying cool, flying the airframe and documenting the training video for us all to learn !!

An automatic, system-induced disconnect or failure would be indicated by the AP indication on the AFCS status display flashing red.

After the autopilot was manually disconnected, the flight director was still working to steer the aircraft in NAV/ALT modes. In this particular case, the autopilot would still be operational (Level Mode option), even in the event of total airspeed loss and could have been re-engaged at any time. This can be tested while on the ground (at zero airspeed), and engaging the autopilot to observe the system following the flight director. This is also a common pre-flight check of the autopilot system for functionality.

BR,

Team X
This has been my experience with the G3X and GxPilot AP. Thanks for making this clear.

What a lesson!

Randy,
You are to be commended for your willingness to let others see you make numerous mistakes on camera, then invite us all to learn from them. Brilliant. I'm not sure I could be so brave. So, thank you. This/these are the best lesson(s) I've learned in a long time.

40 years ago I did almost the same set of maneuvers and endangered 3 passengers as well as myself. There was no camera but my brain still runs the video for me to remember to this day. Your video is like a booster shot for me, encouraging me to practice emergency situations and try to be better prepared next time.

Randy - let me add my thanks to those of so many others for sharing this. I've spent a few terrifying moments in inadvertent IMC, and a timed standard rate turn was a lot more difficult by myself in cloud than with an instructor while wearing foggles!!!

As an aspiring instrument student already testing out an RV-10 equipped like yours with every imaginable piece of latest/greatest avionics half of which I have no idea (for now) what it all even does... one question presents itself:

Why not undertake this flight in the system from the outset? The sketchy WX ahead could have been penetrated without feeling like you were behind the airplane and with all the subsequent steps to a safe landing already mapped out in your head and loaded into the navigator. I understand the reluctance to make a sightseeing/joyriding flight under IFR with all the comms and rules that must be adhered to, but this trip seemed like a good candidate for filing...?

I'd like to hear some feedback on what considerations go into a rated pilot's decision to make a trip in anticipated VMC under VFR vs. IFR.

I have so much still to learn. Thanks again for sharing this video

Thanks

Thank you for posting. We have all made errors. Learn from them and move forward. Taking the time to share surely helps many of us. Blue skies.:)

Why not undertake this flight in the system from the outset? The sketchy WX ahead could have been penetrated without feeling like you were behind the airplane and with all the subsequent steps to a safe landing already mapped out in your head and loaded into the navigator. I understand the reluctance to make a sightseeing/joyriding flight under IFR with all the comms and rules that must be adhered to, but this trip seemed like a good candidate for filing...?

Bill, I have always enjoyed your posts and your contributions to the forum. Your question is such a good one, and in hindsight I should have done exactly that. But here was what I knew at the time...

Ceilings in Farmington NM were 7,000 agl. Weather in Page AZ was reported at 6,500 AGL. Both had plenty of height to accomodate a lower level VFR flight to view the beauty of Monument Valley. The clouds had been at 7,000 AGL for about 2 hours of the flight already. I anticipated more of the same. I wanted the freedom to circle and go lower if I wanted to see more detail of the beauty of the Valley.

BUT, here's the issue, in between those two points there is 158nm of terrain with NO WEATHER stations. I simply didn't anticipate that the clouds just past Monument Valley would get so low and that the terrain will still be rising. There was simply no way to know in advance that the weather would get "that sketchy". Once clouds lowered to about 1,000 agl, I had to make a decision with more rising terrain ahead. I could see "sunshine" through what looked like a very thin layer. I could still see the ground, even though I could not see the horizon, so, I pressed on THINKING it was very temporary. Then, before I knew it, the ground disappeared and all I could think about was rising terrain ahead. Again, I THOUGHT by climbing, I'd get through a thin layer soon. At 10,300, no joy. That's when I got "behind the airplane" and my abilities deteriorated GREATLY!

I realize in the comfort of my home today that my decisions were dumb and there are multiple ways it could have been avoided. If I had any way of knowing the ceilings would get to 1,000 agl, I absolutely would have filed IFR and stayed ahead of the airplane.

I hope this helps explain what was going on and how I got caught in this bad decision-making chain of events.

Another very strong motivator to maintain VMC, thus VFR is icing. A non-icing plane such as all RVs must never be intentionally flown in icing conditions. So IFR in sub-freezing temperatures is more of a choice about ATC than as an option to go into cloud.

Ever since getting my IFR rating I tend to use it on every flight away from home, in some areas where there's no traffic controllers can be very accommodating with deviations.

Even if I fly the trip VFR I almost always hit the 'FILE' button on foreflight so I have a flight plan on file....just in case I need it, makes it much easier on you and the controller to pick up a clearance if you already have one on file.

Last edited:
Back