What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel on Garmin Website

Steve, Im debating between the Gnx375 as a part of my planned G3X panel like the Garmin panel or sticking with the originally planned GTN650 (with Gtx 45r)

Advantages to the GNX :

Cheaper by about 4k
Lighter by a few pounds
Less power draw

Advantages to GTN :

ILS/NAV capabilities
Integrated panel COM

Assuming I wouldn?t miss the NAV function any thoughts on this decision? What you really need to offer is an updated GTN with an integrated ADSB In/Out.

Steve, Im debating between the Gnx375 as a part of my planned G3X panel like the Garmin panel or sticking with the originally planned GTN650 (with Gtx 45r)

Advantages to the GNX :

Cheaper by about 4k
Lighter by a few pounds
Less power draw

Advantages to GTN :

ILS/NAV capabilities
Integrated panel COM

Assuming I wouldn?t miss the NAV function any thoughts on this decision? What you really need to offer is an updated GTN with an integrated ADSB In/Out.
Hello Rob,

As you can imagine, we get this question a lot via our G3Xpert inbox. We appreciate that many are struggling with this decision.

To start off, lets compare some pricing. I went online and found the following approximate street prices:

GTN 650 $10K
GTX 45R $3.5K
Total $13.5K for GPS/NAV/COM plus 1090ES ADS-B In/Out

GNX 375 $7K
GTR 200 $1.2K
Total $8.2K for GPS with 1090ES ADS-B In/Out plus COM

Agree that the large difference (besides saving $5.3K) is loss of VOR/ILS, but you also lose some of the premium features of the GTN like 3D flight planning with coupled VNAV.

Everyone has to decide what is important to them. To some, not having a NAV radio is a show stopper, but to many, they no longer use VOR, and no longer need to use ILS since LPV is way more available than ILS, especially in the smaller airports that many homebuilts prefer.

I like to tell people that the small airport where I am based with a single 3400' paved runway has no VOR/ILS approaches, but has awesome LPV approaches into each end of the single runway.

I have a GNX 375 and a GTR 200 in my homebuilt and absolutely love using them both and feel like they are the best fit for my needs and preferences, but no doubt I would also like a GTN 650.

The size, weight, cost, power consumption, and capabilities of the GNX 375 make it a really good choice for a lot of people.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks,
Steve

And don't forget the bigger screen on the 650 which I find very usable, but marginal, (I would love to have the 750 but couldn't afford that one). Haven't had a chance to fly with the smaller screen yet so not sure how that will work. I can't imagine a smaller screen will make programming easier.

Personally I have been doing a fair bit of IFR "in the soup" flying lately and I find it comforting that the GPS is not my only lifeline to a safe landing.

I also use the VNAV feature on almost every flight, really cool feature and would hate to give that up.

Picture on Garmin website

Hi Steve,

After Oshkosh Garmin took down the picture of their RV7 panel. Any chance I can get a copy of it. I want to follow that design.

Thanks,
Michael-

Thanks! Funny though when it was on your website it had a GNX-375 in it. Did you guys Photoshop that? No foul if you did. Just curious which navigator it actually has in it.

It?s a beautiful panel either way. I want one just like it!

Michael

Thanks! Funny though when it was on your website it had a GNX-375 in it. Did you guys Photoshop that? No foul if you did. Just curious which navigator it actually has in it.

It?s a beautiful panel either way. I want one just like it!

Michael
Hello Michael,

The panel has been changed, but I thought you might have been referring to the original panel with the GTN 750.

You are right that our RV-7A currently has a GMC 507 instead of the GMC 305 and has one of the new 2" GPS navigators instead of the GTN 750.

I will see if I can find a link to a picture of the new panel.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Michael,

Here is a link to a photo of the RV-7A panel with a GMC 507, GPS 175, and GMA 245 in the center stack.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

First, thanks for all the support on the site. Second, a stupid question. Why the GMA 245? I'm guessing you have some other radio behind the panel?
If you put in a GTR 200, you'd have comm and an intercom. What does the audio panel get you beyond that? I know I'm missing something, I just don't know yet.

Thanks,

Laird

Steve,

First, thanks for all the support on the site. Second, a stupid question. Why the GMA 245? I'm guessing you have some other radio behind the panel?
If you put in a GTR 200, you'd have comm and an intercom. What does the audio panel get you beyond that? I know I'm missing something, I just don't know yet.

Thanks,

Laird

I'd be really surprised if they didn't have a remoted mounted GTR20 as com 2. But even without a second com, an audio panel offers so much convenience, multiple inputs, Bluetooth, etc. I can't imagine not having one anymore. (personally I would have panel mounted a GTR200 instead of a remote unit, I prefer twisting a knob to a menu)

Last edited:
Steve,

Thanks,

Laird
Hello Laird,

We have always had dual COM radios in this plane, and need the GMA 245.

In this example with the GPS 175, there are dual GTR 20 COM radios.

We we also had a GNC 355 GPS/COM in there at one point with a single GTR 20 that was also a very nice dual COM setup.

We also use the Bluetooth audio from the GMA 245 for our Virb Ultra 30 flight test camera.

Thanks,
Steve

Back