What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing nutplates with CCR264SS3 rivets

NZ_Pompey

I want to replace a couple of the 8 nutplates where the V-Stab bolts on to the tailcone bulkhead, and also 1 on the H-Stab, as they are no longer 'locking' and I can pretty much turn a bolt by hand all the way to the end of the threads.
(this was more than probably caused by me test fitting too many times and tightening too much when doing that - lesson learnt!).

I intend to replace these nutplates which were originally fixed with AD3 rivets using CCR264SS3 pulled rivets (Vans said this is a suitable replacement) but i'm just a bit unsure on what length to use.
The thickness of the tailcone bulkhead measures at 0.115" and the K1000-3 nutplates are 0.035", so am i right in thinking that i should use a rivet that has a grip range of more than 0.150"?

What confuses me here is that a couple of these nutplates on the tail bulkhead already have CCR264SS3-2 rivets called out in the plans, but the grip length for 3-2 state a max of 0.125", so less than the total measured thickness of 0.150".
So is the 3-2 a suitable rivet here or should i be using a 3-3 which has a grip length range between 0.126-0.187"....or am I just looking at this all wrong/maybe it just not super critical?

Thanks!
Paul

rivets

If "a couple of these nutplates on the tail bulkhead already have CCR264SS3-2 rivets called out in the plans" then surely that's your answer! :) Those rivets in the nutplates are not doing much more than acting in shear to prevent the nutplate from turning while you tighten the bolt.

or am I just looking at this all wrong/maybe it just not super critical?
Correct. Those rivets are not structural. All they have to do is keep the nutplates from falling out when the screws are tightened.
Consider using blue Loctite thread locker instead of replacing nutplates

Back