What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First year of owning an RV-10

Flying again!

Well Known Member
Well,

It's been one year since I became a -10 owner so I decided to see what it costs to fly the 120 hours I put on it so far.

Including insurance, hanger, condition inspection, fuel, oil changes, oil added, engine reserve (assume $20,000 at 2000 hrs) but no "improvements/changes" I made, the cost comes to $111/hr. I've got to fly more to get the per hour cost down:)!

This is less than I budgeted for and is cheaper than renting a 172 and a lot more fun! Having your own a/c let's you do spontaneous trips like we did during labor day to Santa Fe.

Of the 120 hours flown, 100 have been cross countries, virtually all over 420nm. I averaged 159 knots and 12 gph.

This is the first plane I have owned and was concerned if I would use it the way I thought I would. Every well tells you to think of the mission. The only thing I miss is no aerobatics. However, I have used it for more X-countries than I expected and have had more flights with 3 folks or more on board than I expected (over 80%).

So far, so good! Update next year!

Ditto...Happy Birthday!

About 9 months and 80 hours. After phase 1, 95% of our time fully loaded. The family loves it. With the house and cars paid for, we are spending about the same as we would have per year on interest. We are still blowing some money but getting a heck of alot more enjoyment out of it. Come and visit!

Well,

Of the 120 hours flown, 100 have been cross countries, virtually all over 420nm. I averaged 159 knots and 12 gph.

So far, so good! Update next year!

Thanks for the stats. That sure makes me feel good about our -9 doing 1000hrs at 145kts/6.8gph. It seems you might want to try to get that flow down some with your numbers... but I'm not a -10 expert.

12 seems to be the standard for most of the -10's on x-countries.

That's a great report and seeing $111/hr is somewhat motivating. I think a 172 rents here for ~135/hr (wet) and the 182 rents for $190/hr (wet).

They're slower (more expensive) and not nearly as much fun to fly.

Thanks for sharing your numbers!
Phil

Thanks for the stats. That sure makes me feel good about our -9 doing 1000hrs at 145kts/6.8gph. It seems you might want to try to get that flow down some with your numbers... but I'm not a -10 expert.

Cruise at 160kts is 10.5 to 12 (depends on altitude). I did the simple math and took the total hours flown divided by total fuel purchased and distance divided by wheels off to wheels down tome. A lot of the cross countries are above 10,000ft. So the average includes taxi, holds on the ground, climb, headwinds, tailwinds etc....

Last edited:
12 gph is what most of us use for flight planning a long xc. Initial climbout= 25.5 gph, typical 155-160 ktas cruise= 9.9-10.5 gph LOP @ 10,500-13,500. Not as efficient as a glass plane, but sure beats any certified metal 4 place planes on my field as far as speed for a specific fuel flow. At 145 ktas I would probably be around 9.0 gph...hauling the whole family. I am seeing 14-16 mpg in flight which makes a long xc in an suv cost the same as 100LL fuel. Driving to my family in Florida was 1000 sm, flying is 760 sm. Time went from 18 hours with two kids and 18 wheelers to 4.5 hours of peaceful bliss. That is max range for our plane, butts and bladders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Including insurance, hanger, condition inspection, fuel, oil changes, oil added, engine reserve (assume $20,000 at 2000 hrs) but no "improvements/changes" I made, the cost comes to $111/hr.

Did you include the time value of the money tied up in the plane? I realize that right now interest rates are low which minimizes this but it still could be significant.

Did you include the time value of the money tied up in the plane? I realize that right now interest rates are low which minimizes this but it still could be significant.

I guess I am not an accountant, I buy my cars versus leasing. To get the same performance I would need to rent a C-182RG at $185+ per hour. Right now, I can get 1% on the value of the plane, so call it $10/ hr.

Of course, the ability to go when you want and knowing the a/c is available, and knowing how the a/c is maintained and how it has been flown is, as the ads say, priceless!:)

For me, I am not a business, and therefore do not really consider the "opportunity cost" of money.

Bottom line, you can not justify the cost of owning an a/c. Just build, buy, fly and enjoy!

I guess we could have bought new cars, taken the big "required" annual vacation for the last four years, eat out every other night, bought a few big screens, a boat and a four wheeler. I am very happy with our personal investment and would do without all over again for this -10.

Another way to look at it.....

So for the year, my fixed cost was $4,700 (hanger, insurance, condition inspection).

Variable (dependent upon flight hours) was $8,700 (fuel, oil changes, oil, engine reserve) for a direct cost per hour of $73/hour. So for every extra hour I fly, my direct cost is $73 but my fixed costs go down per hours flown.

Back