What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV improves the daily grind

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
Been working 6 days a week lately and more to come. But wednesday I had time available for catch up. I'm no Vlad...or any of you lucky ones traveling around the country but I try to put the RV to good use. SO:

My tour as President of the HomeOwner Association came to a close recently. The new President wanted to discuss duties and responsibilities. I live 4.5hrs away(by car) so she suggested a 10am phone call to save me travel.

I woke up and the weather looked good so I called and said "I'll be there by 0930. Climbing out I wondered what I had done the visibility was about 8miles of smoke in the valley. Once I got above 9000' I was on top and other than a 25-30kt headwind viz was better and smooth. Guess that's why I call my RV "Aurora" after the Roman Goddess of the Dawn, I love morning flights.

It cleared up as I got north. Wild Horse Island on Flathead lake
brianphonesep12065.jpg

Descending through 6000, Cabin Creek Landing(97MT) is at my 2 o'clock as I approach over the hills from the south. Bitteroot lake was like glass.
brianphonesep12067.jpg

Left downwind for RY20. (one lot in foreclosure, will go cheap we think)
brianphonesep12069.jpg

Had some Altitude to burn so I made a crosswind then out over the lake before coming around to land on RY02.
brianphonesep12070.jpg

Meeting got over around 1100, so I grab a splash of fuel and saddled up.

Climbed to 9500 to grab some tailwind, but still bumpy as the mountains heated up...going to 11500. Finley Point under my wing as I crossed Flathead lake was looking inviting. (we've stayed there before).
brianphonesep12077.jpg

I went over the Mission Mtns on the return trip. Why does it seem the engine vibrates more when the ground looks like this under me.
brianphonesep12084.jpg

Smoke laying in the valleys of the Bob Marshall Wilderness. shortly after this pic, I ended up climbing to 13500 trying to get out of the smoke.
brianphonesep12089.jpg

Found a few more Kts of tailwind. I was showing 177kts TAS with a GS of 196-202KTS...on 8.1gph or 28mpg thereabouts.
brianphonesep12095.jpg

Usually I can see Helena(KHLN) from here <20 miles out...not today.
brianphonesep12097.jpg

I stayed high as long as I could but finally had to drop into the haze. this is about 10miles out of Townsend(8U8). The shoreline of Canyon Ferry lake is about 4miles. The smoke just got thicker the lower I went. I finally picked up the airport at 3.5miles.
brianphonesep12098.jpg

Meetings suck, but flying to them makes them tolerable. 0.9 hrs home aint' too shabby either. RV's are a great escape even in small bites.....ok back to work, everybody

NICE, Brian! Great pictures and good reading about your trip! I'm looking forward to using the RV for a business trip once in a while, too. Being able to write off the expenses only sweetens the deal even more. :)

Mine is a unpaid volunteer position, so no write off. But factor in the fun, I come out ahead.

Nice Brian. Curious, what power settings and alt do you have at 177 tas with 8.1 gph?...if you recall

Nice!

Hey Brian.....nice call on taking the airplane.....looked like a fun flight...and there is nothing better than a good excuse to go flying!!!! When I first saw the photos I figgered you were flying in the Smokey Mountains :D:D

YOL BOLSON!!!

Nice numbers..remind me not enter any races with you.

you should enter a race or two. You'll learn a lot about yourself and your RV.

I just try to improve each race. I can't compete with the fast RV-8's and RV-4's, but hold my own against the other side by side RV's with parallel valve 360's.

I've seen 194kts TAS during a winter testing run(-5*F), but has not been repeatable conditions. I can hit 190KTAS most calm days....now if I learn how to fly on a race course. I think I am burning 13.6gph and 2610rpm here
aviation2012012.jpg

Back