What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nuthin? But Rolls and Loops?.

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMEBZlQ3IuE

Don’t you just hate it when a guy gets a new video camera and starts posting a bunch of YouTube videos just to play with the new toy? Yeah…well, here’s another one! :rolleyes:

Nothing but loops and rolls in the RV-3. The GoPro is head-mounted, so you see where I am looking, and it sure does feel like I am just riding atop the airplane, doesn’t it? No fancy music, just airplane noise. I was up about 4,000’, and all cloud clearance rules were observed – the high layer was a couple of thousand feet above me, the scattered Cu below weren’t that high. I threw the take-off video in there for anyone that wants to see what it's like to blast off from what amounts to a city street (our airpark). After a short acceleration, we climb out at about 2500 fpm.

Real aerobatic pilots would just call this “Floppin’ Around” – I just call it having fun. If you can stand watching to the end, the very last roll is at just about maximum aileron deflection – just about as fast as you can roll a -3 at 140 knots (or so). :cool:

So now I seem to have reached a minimum level of competency with the new camera, new computer, and Sony’s complicated moviemaker software – maybe I’ve got it out of my system…

Paul

Last edited:
Very nice, Paul. You may remember my son who was with me at Oshkosh had a mono-pod on his GoPro so he could hold it above the crowds for some of his video shots at Oshkosh. He really likes it and is always looking for new ways to use it. Maybe he'll mount it on his 1/3 scale Extra...when he gets it flying, that is.

BTW, does Louise know you've been out playing with Tsam? :rolleyes:

At least you're not pining about the lowly cleco on this thread... ;)

P.S. Tsam's engine sounds really strong.

BTW, does Louise know you've been out playing with Tsam? :rolleyes:

Louise is out keeping the islands of the Gulf Coast safe for democracy (for a month), and I am charged with keeping the two dogs and three airplanes exercised! I'm guessin' that she's aware of what that entails...

So can we request videos? I'd like to see one that show the stick movements during similar maneuvers. And a video showing just your panel during the "show"...

Looks fun Paul.

Steve

Real aerobatic pilots would just call this ?Floppin? Around? ? I just call it having fun.

I seem to have instigated that. :) I call it having fun too...I've been known to "flop around" in the Clipped Cub on occasion. :) And I kinda miss that view you have there, Paul.

Thanks for sharing the video. I've got about 10 more days before I get back to the States and I can do some "flopping" of my own and videos help keep the DT's away.

Eric, looking forward to another video from you that includes some precision flopping. And if you ever get the itch to see that sight picture again, my -4 has an open pilot policy that I'm sure you'll qualify for :D

Eric, looking forward to another video from you that includes some precision flopping. And if you ever get the itch to see that sight picture again, my -4 has an open pilot policy that I'm sure you'll qualify for :D

Too generous Dan. :) I worked up an Advanced Free that I need to practice. Maybe this weekend. The videos have definitely helped me self-critique a little better.

Sat in my hotel room, bored in Orlando........

Day 5 of a 6 day layover, no buddy with me, managed some flying and skydiving, so now you start on You Tube !!

Great vid Paul - my kind of aeros..... Done for you, by you.

I had the sound muted as I was playing iTunes - I had Pink Floyd Echoes on, which then segued to Neil Young, Unknown Legend - fitted perfectly.

I have lots of similar footage, however, most of it isn't publishable on You Tube as I prefer a little proximity flying - to clouds.

Call the local radar center, get a clear patch of airspace and then do the canyons, valleys and cliffs.......:D

I'll bring a dvd to Sun n Fun next year.....

Back