What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I'm a 29 yr old airline pilot, I just lost my medical...

steve91t

Well Known Member
A month ago I solo'd my dad's newly acquired RV 7. Here's the thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=65108

Little did I know, that would be my last time flying GA, possibly for good. I'm so glad though, that we decided to fly that day. It was one of the most fun days I've had in a long time.

Here's the story. I'll try to keep it short.

Last week, my new wife and I was driving in my truck (me driving). All of a sudden, I was having a hard time finding the words to speak. I just thought I was distracted with driving. When I asked her what I just said, trying to jog my memory on what we were talking about, I realized I couldn't understand what she was saying. For about 10 minutes, I couldn't communicate. I could not speak, and could not understand what she was saying. I had absolutely no other symptoms. Lucky me for me, my wife is a speech pathologist. She instantly started trying to figure what it was. She convinced me something was wrong, and that I may be having a stroke. We went to the hospital and had an MRI within a few hours. They found a Cavernous Angienoma. It's basically a clump of blood vessels that are tangled up, and are leaking blood. These themselves are not dangerous, but I'm unlucky in the fact that it's in a VERY sensitive are of my brain that controls speech. It is likely that has been since birth and just now decided to irritate that part of my brain.

I never imagined in a million years that I'd be writing this right now. My FAA 1st medical is gone. If I were to be fixed right now, it would be probably a minimum of 14 months to be able to get it back. The problem is, it's in such a delicate part of my brain, it's likely that surgery to remove it could have some serious risks. We need more tests and will be getting those over the next month.

Flying is everything to me. The day me and my dad last month flew the RV7 and the 170 was awesome. It's something I will never forget it. But, I am also so lucky that this didn't happen when I was soloing the RV. My little episode of not being able to speak was likely a minor seizer. It could have likely have been a full blown seizer. That could have been bad.

The good things is that I'm completely find. Except for mixing up my words a little more than normal, I'm OK. This is not something that will kill me, it just will require for me to be on anti seizer medicine for the rest of my life. If I do get it removed, it's full blown brain surgery. If they remove it, and I have no complicated from the surgery, I will never have any more problems and should be able to get my medical back. I just don't know if the risks are worth it.

I'm trying to accept that I may never fly an airplane again. It's a scary feeling. I have been flying since I could walk, started flying gliders when I was 13, and new I wanted to be an airline pilot as long as I can remember. I was a captain at my commuter airline, and was hoping to move on to the majors next year when they started hiring. I also was going to be starting pilot training soon for the air national guard for the Knoxville, TN. I was going to fly a KC-135 tanker.

It's all gone. Everything I've worked for is gone.

But, there are always gliders. I would love to be able to get into those again. And there are things like the RV 12. Maybe someday they will be able to come out with a tiny RV3 powered by a rotax.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share. I'm sorry if some of this doesn't make sense. I'm still not 100%. I just want to remind everyone to not to take flying for granted. At my age, I am completely healthy. I never had any idea there was anything wrong. I guess I am very lucky though. It could be much much worse.

Everything happens for a reason. But I'm not sure why flying, something that is such a part of my life, has been taken away from me.

I keep reminding myself of the positive. I'm healthy. I have an amazing wife, who may have saved my life, and I'll be able to spend a wonderful Christmas with all my family.

Steve

IMG_4047.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

Hang in there, We'll hope and pray the New Year bring good news.

Hey Steve

Wow,

I am stunned and saddened at your loss. Then again I am glad that the circumstances of your siezure were not much more serious and your amazing Wife still has her Husband.

Its so easy to take good health for granted.

Question, is there a way that you could get a waiver to fly GA if you proved your condition was stable on the anti siezure medication?

I wish you and your family a blessed Christmas season and I just love your positive attitude..that alone can move mountains!

Get well soon!

Frank

This you?
http://www.glider.org/Awards/stevepw2.jpg

I can feel your pain Steve.

This is all new and shocking to you Im sure, so my advice is to take some time to adjust to your new situation and let things sort themselves out. I assume there is no downside to waiting awhile to decide about surgery?

On the positive side, it doesnt sound like flying is completely out of the picture - How about right seat in dad's RV? My favorite flights are generally those that I can share first hand with someone who enjoys it as much as I do.

Best wishes to you, and keep us all informed of how you are doing

erich

Steve,

My wife is also a speech pathologist at a large hospital and works every day with folks who've suffered similar events. I won't pretend that I understand the technical aspects but I hear the stories of their struggles nearly every evening. I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well enough to even write your post. Many people are not so fortunate. As for the medical, that is a huge kick in the nut$. All I can suggest is that you take stock of all you still have and all you CAN do.

Hang in there, brother.

I can't begin to imagine all of what you're going through, but I think if I had gone that far, that I would risk the surgery. You're young and probably have a better-than-average chance of pulling through. And if you do, apart from the delay, you'll be back on track for everything you were working for.

Just my $0.02.

This you?
http://www.glider.org/Awards/stevepw2.jpg

I can feel your pain Steve.

This is all new and shocking to you Im sure, so my advice is to take some time to adjust to your new situation and let things sort themselves out. I assume there is no downside to waiting awhile to decide about surgery?

On the positive side, it doesnt sound like flying is completely out of the picture - How about right seat in dad's RV? My favorite flights are generally those that I can share first hand with someone who enjoys it as much as I do.

Best wishes to you, and keep us all informed of how you are doing

erich

Haha, that's me! How'd you find that picture! I must have been about 17 or 18 there.

Wow, that sucks

Steve, sorry to hear about your situation, I really dont know what to say.................other than, I suspect you are correct about the airline stuff, but as to GA flying, I think you should seek out the assistance of AOPA.

AOPA medical is just fantastic, I can not emphasize that enough, I would probably not be flying now if not for them, and VAF.

Steve,

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. Sounds like you recognized the problem quickly enough, and your wife got you to do the right thing (ER and MRI) at the right time (immediately). Too many times, the victem refuses to accept that there's something wrong, and just makes the situation even worse.

Although your plans for an aviation career are certainly over, there's still plenty of opportunity to fly with a safety pilot in your Cessna and RV. It's not quite the best of situations, but absolutely better than the alternative!

Good luck to you as you begin traveling this new road in your life.

Steve,
You are sure to get a large reply to your story, but allow me to jump in early in expressing my hopes and prayers for your health first, and then a return to flying.
There are many of your brother airline, corporate, and other flying professionals on this site that can somewhat begin to understand your feelings right now. However, it will be up to you to make the decisions which will be best for your health first and foremost. Yes, there is a chance that you will not be able to fly professionally in the future, but than again there is always that possibility that you will!! Like you, I have been flying since an early age, and at times I have joined you in my sentiments that that being able to fly is "who I am". However, there are many stories like yours, of pilots who have had major medical setbacks, and have found a new path in aviation. Coincidentally, I just reread the article in the July 2010 AOPA Pilot about Jim Tucker, the FedEx Captain who (along with his crew) had his career stolen from him by a deranged co-worker, and has since returned to flying, and has found other rewarding paths in aviation.
After reading your previous posting about checking out in your family's RV-7 and C-170, it is apparent that you have a strong family bond, and for that you are indeed fortunate. Take it one day at a time, as you make the decisions on your path to recovery.
Also, this is a time when you need to utilize your company's health care plan to it's maximum. Contact your union health insurance rep and make sure that you are getting the full benefit of what you have been paying for. Your insurance carrier should be made to assure that you are getting the best of care, physicians, and service possible. I am a pilot for a supplemental airline, and have spent more than a few years doing union work including assuring that our pilots get what they have been paying for. If there is ANYTHING that I can do, please feel free to PM me.
You are indeed lucky that you were able to discover this in a way that resulted in no accidents or injuries to your wife and yourself. You have my best wishes for you and your family.

Get well soon!

Keep a positive attitude. Work towards getting your medical back, this means NEVER give up!
Talk your wife into getting her Pilot's licence (only one of you has to have a valid licence and current check-out) and you can do all the flying you want. It's more fun to share your flights with someone anyway.
I survived cancer I had 14 years ago!:)
Have a great Christmas!

Best wishes..

for a speedy recovery. I wish there was something more I could do to help, other than remember you in our daily prayers, and hope for the best for you and your family.

Chris

Steve, good on you for having additional tests scheduled. "High risk" is not "infinite risk". Obviously on you can decide how much is too much, but before you do I'd advise getting a second and possibly even a third opinion. Check with your health insurance provider. They can usually advise you on your options; they may cover more than you expect. A quick Google search made it apparent that there are a lot of top-notch hospitals and brain surgeons out there who deal with cavernous angiomas, so you should be able to get some good help. But don't just count on them- educate yourself, read all you can!

Hang in there, don't give up!

Don't give up!

I know that all our situations are different, but DO NOT GIVE UP! About a year ago I thought I was in the same situation "I'll never get to fly again" but with the the right Flight Doc, the stars aligning, and God's grace, I'm back. Don't listen to the nay sayers and don't take no from someone who doesn't have the power to say yes! And finally, go flying with your friends and try to stay positive!

Tailwinds!

...... and don't take no from someone who doesn't have the power to say yes! And finally, go flying with your friends and try to stay positive!
Tailwinds!

Don't take "NO" even from those whom are empowered to say "YES". When you get to the point where your MD's and AME feel that you are qualified, be ready to fight with all you have.
If a 75 y/o PPL (my Dad) can get a medical back after a cardiac event, a young dashing aviator such as yourself :D should be a lock!
Hang in there!

Steve, sorry to read about your health/speach issues. Flying LSA's isn't so bad, there are some really cool ones out there.

Steve do not give up. I personally know one member on this forum who has a medical case very serious and is out of his airline job for a while. Building an 8 and on his road to recovery. Best wishes to you and your family.

Steve--

I feel for you, and wish you the best! However, heed what these guys are saying...DO NOT GIVE UP!

I fly under a Special Issuance now, but lost my medical about 3 or 4 years ago...I was already an FO at the majors, and thought my life was ending.

Steve, you know it's a lot different for a professional pilot than some posters may realize. The pending loss of "everything I've worked for" was very real, and it WILL depress you if you let it/aren't prepared for that wave of feelings when it hits.

I KNOW it looks bleak right now, but start the process, get on the meds, follow the FAA protocol, let the shock of the situation subside, and your options will unfold right before your eyes.

I fly with guys all the time who have had much worse situations than mine and they are now flying Captain with a First Class, including a guy who had a seizure in the seat and was dragged off the jet by paramedics.

AOPA may work for you, but if you have access through work or your Union, try Virtual Flight Surgeons...they were great in my case; I owe them my career.

Lastly, if you just need/want to talk...I've been there.

Best-
Joe

Last edited:
Steve -

#1, wishing you a fast recovery. Walking and talking, that's the #1 priority.

#2, there is lots of fun flying to be had without a medical. If you are simply ineligible for a medical and haven't been denied, then you can fly as a SP.

#3, as you note, you can always fly gliders (and motorgliders) even if you have been denied a medical. I have several soaring buddies with denied and lapsed medicals.

#4, if you are so inclined, you can even instruct as a CFI-SP or CFI-G.

Hang in there and focus on getting well, but your days of flying are over only if you want them to be. I'm happy to tell you more of my story via PM.

TODR

Steve,

There are many options that a professional pilot has. Im sure that there will be plenty of time to think about the best course of action to getting you back in the air. Remember, what is today is not necessarily what will be tomorrow. A strong union backing will have a lot of resources. If that is not an option you may want to try a company out of Tulsa called Pilot medical solutions when the dust settles. I know several tough cases that these folks have had success with.

Hug your wife tight and have try to enjoy the Christmas holiday season. Know that we are all thinking of you and are here to help any way we can.

Your in our thoughts and prayers,

God speed

"I keep reminding myself of the positive. I'm healthy. I have an amazing wife, who may have saved my life, and I'll be able to spend a wonderful Christmas with all my family.

Steve"

Steve - my thoughts are with you. You have suffered what many of us dread, plus you're young and your life revolves around flying more than the average VAFer. However, it seems to me your last sentence is the real answer. Wow. You'll get through it. Besides, you've got lots of VAF friends you've never met who are with you too.

Another of those "it can be done" stories: The best pilot I know had an engine failure in a crop duster in a turn. It took him 11 years to get his medical back, and tons of work and just plain grit. That was 20 years ago, and he has made his living flying for all these 20 years. I sure hope it doesn't take you that long, but it starts with the right attitude. I think you have that.

Bob

Hang in there

I know several folks that have underwent open heart surgery with the sole reason being to keep flying - they weren't going to die without surgery, but the FAA wasn't going to issue a 1st class medical. One made it back flying corp jets (Cit X) and the other is still working through recovery.

Even if you don't make it back to ATP, like you said gliders and LSA are still a load of fun - see this link:
http://www.vintageflying.com/page24.html

Steve:

So sorry to hear about that medical. But....don't give up on GA flying. You may be able to get an FAA special issuance. A guy three hangars down from me just did that a couple of years ago. His medical condition? He has another man's heart in his chest.

Don't give up, brother.

A total bummer, Steve.

Here's hoping there is a medicine man out there who can fix the problem so you can get back to flying.

Steve a friend of mine used to get dizzy when he would stand up and experienced disorientation. When it was tracked down he had the same problem as you. His was oriented deep in his brain and surgury wasn't an option. This was about twelve years ago so I don't know if this is still as highly specialized or not, but he was accepted and treated at the University of San Francisco. They scanned his brain thoroughly and came up with coordinates of the ball of blood vessels. When they treated him they mounted a headgear on him with 4 screws into his noggin so that they could keep his head perfectly still. The lump was then blasted with energy triangulated somehow to converge at the lump but not affect any of the surrounding brain. I don't remember this being radiation though. I want to say they used low frequency waves??? When he had this done he was one of the first people in the world to receive this treatment. Prior to treatment he was limited by doctors from anything that he liked to do fearing a stroke. Within a few months after treatment he was water skiing and playing softball, etc. I know they shrunk the ball, but don't really know details. Best of luck to you.

Don't give up

Don't give up on ANY of your dream. Grace of God and a good doctor or two and you will regain your First Class Medical and be back flying for a living. That may take a year or two but don't give up.

Most important right now is to begin a search for information. Become your own 'expert'. Don't give up.

Learn all that you can about your condition. Remember that MDs are human beings too and they make mistakes and misdiagnose occasionally.

Trust your instincts. Don't be afraid to question your MDs at length and to form your own opinions on what and how to alleviate your condition. MDs have many patients - only you are 'special' to 'you' - you may have to strongly advocate for yourself. Don't give up.

Log you contacts, dates, who said what, etc., religiously. Your log may become your best friend - you may well write a book! Don't give up.

Do your research and find the BEST MDs. I'll bet that there is a lot of research going on right now about the functions of the brain. Surgery may be one of several methods of getting you 'cured'. Don't give up.

Check with your FAA MD and the FAA and find out EXACTLY what is required for you to regain your First Class Medical. Getting that info early on may help you decide on a course of action. Use AOPA and other organizations to help you with this. Best of luck and skill - the fight has just begun and you will win it - don't give up.

Don't give up.

Your challenges and opportunities

Steve, I am not young and I am not an airline pilot but it is impossible not to sense the the loss you have experienced. On the other hand this has presented you with challenges and opportunities. Describing your experience in this forum is one of them. Most people I'm sure have never heard of anything like what you have experienced but I have learned from your writing. How you deal with this in the weeks and months ahead and both the short and long term outcome will be of great interest to me and obviously to many others judging by the responses already posted (especially your airline pilot brothers).

Good luck,

Bob Axsom

Steve, I am not sure what airline you work for or if you are represented by ALPA. If you are represented by ALPA make sure you call ALPA medical yesterday. They are the very best at getting pilots back in the cockpit and flying. No one else is even a close second. They will review your records and can suggest specific Dr's who have helped in the past with people with your problem. They will also deal with all the paperwork the FAA requires and have a very close working relationship with the FAA aeromedical department. They have put many friends back in the cockpit who thought they would never work again.

George

Positive Thoughts

Hi Steve, best of luck to you and very sorry to hear about the medical issue. Glad you & Alan had a great day with "Charlie U" when you got to solo it and take the air to air photo's. Filling both seats in the "7" is still a whole lot of fun!
Best to you and your new wife over the holidays!
Randy Utsey

....try Virtual Flight Surgeons...they were great in my case; I owe them my career.

Steve,

I'll second Joe's recommendations....don't give up, and call VFS as soon as you can. They've helped put my mind at ease on more than one occasion, and their advice has always been right on target when working through issues with my AME.

Best of luck!

Dave

Keep your head up brother, and don't ever accept "no" as the answer. There's always a way. I can't imagine it's going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination, but not impossible.

I was 32 when I decided to walk away from aviation as a career - but was fortunate enough to have made the choice myself. At the time I made the choice, the simple possibility that that could happen factored into my thinking - I thought I was still early enough to obtain alternate job skills, and in that I was also fortunate.

Keep the faith, but have a plan "B." We'll keep you in our prayers this holiday season.

Blue skies,

Bill Reister

My sympathies to you...

It would be tough to be in your shoes no question BUT as you and others have said you have many things to be thankful for. First of all, don't panic. If you love to fly as much as we all do, as much as you say you do then you will be in the air again. It may not be originally how you imagined it but you will fly again. And it doesn't matter what you are sitting in, when those wheels come off the ground (whether the wheels belong to a 747, RV-7 or RV-12) there is a magic that happens that cannot be duplicated by anything else. I for one plan on letting my medical lapse when the day comes and flying LSA. It doesn't matter what I am in, for me the magic happens the minute the wheels are off the ground.
Keep your chin up, stay in the fight, educate yourself to the MAX regarding your condition, seek out experts and get multiple opinions. Make informed decisions with information from people who know what they are talking about. Put the negative thoughts out of your head and move forward with life. Good luck my friend.

Hello everyone. I wanted to thank everyone for the responses.

It took a while, but we finally got some answers. Long story short, I am scheduled for brain surgery on the 15th of March. The surgeon specializes in my condition and is known as the best in the world. The surgery is very straight forward, and has low risk. They also give me a 95% chance of a full recovery, with absolutely no problems at all. Once I'm done with the surgery, I will apply for my medical. Then there is a 1 year waiting period, just to make sure there are no problems. So, in just over a year, I should have my medical back.

But here's the really good news. I think I mentioned that I had been selected as a pilot to fly KC-135's for the Air National Guard over the summer. I would have bet money that brain surgery was disqualifying. Actually, it's even easier to get flying again with the military than the FAA. Once I'm off all my medicine and fully recovered (a few months from now), I'll have some follow up scans, doctors will sign off saying I will never have another problem, and then it's up to the Flight Surgeon in my ANG unit.

If he signs me off, I'm good to go. There is a good chance that I will be starting my pilot training this fall as planned.

I definitely had some holy **** moments in the past few months. Especially when I saw the clip of the reporter who had a stroke (or something similar) while on the air. My wife told me that was exactly how I sounded. Scary.

While I can't find a word strong enough to describe much I'm dreading brain surgery, I am very happy to know that this is a very low risk surgery, and that I have been given an very high chance of a full recovery. Can't ask for much more than that.

Anyway, hopefully by the end of this year, I'll be ripping up the skies in a T-6 learning all kinds of new things.

Then, soon after, I'll be ripping up the skies in a Harmon Rocket II :)

Again, thank you everyone for all the kind words. When this first happened, I was pretty numb. I didn't know what to think. But now, I can honestly say that everything is going to be alright.

Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ4shANmIN8

Great news!!!

Steve, that is wonderful news. I, for one, believe that prayers and good thoughts help, and there were tons of both focused on you and your family.

Best of luck with the surgery, the good thoughts and prayers will continue in your direction.

Chris

GREAT!!!!

When this first happened, I was pretty numb. I didn't know what to think. But now, I can honestly say that everything is going to be alright.

Steve

Amazing how time can "adjust" our perspective on things.

Glad to hear the news, thanks for sharing it with your VAF family.

Hang in there!

Steve,
Although I have "only been through heart surgery" and my career doesn't depend on my FAA medical, I do have some appreciation for what you are going through. I love flying and as it turned out, between the really long time for me to get all the proper medical information to the FAA AND because I had an elevated PSA after surgery and my doctor wanted me to have a prostate biopsy (yuk!) I was without a medical for 15 months.

I encourage you to pursue your passion of flying. The science of medicine is advancing at an amazing rate, and I feel sure you will be as good as new after a little recovery time.

BTW, I understand the LA reporter went through an extensive battery of tests at the UCLA medical center and they determined she has "migraine aura" which is very serious but treatable. She should be returning to a normal lifestyle now that they now what her problem is.

Don

Last edited:
I would have bet money that brain surgery was disqualifying. Actually, it's even easier to get flying again with the military than the FAA.
HA! As the saying goes, "Who loves ya, baby?" I think you know your answer.

Very glad that you're getting healed (first) and flying again (second). Keep going!

TODR

Great news Steve! You'll be back in the saddle in no time....and the T-6 is awesome! I love flying it!

Good luck with the surgery!

Cheers,

Don

That's great news! So glad to hear that there's a light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not being held by St. Peter!)

Gitter done!:D

Back