What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leadville CO run

mchargmg

Well Known Member
Weather finally cleared enough for us to make the run up to Leadville (KLXV).

The view coming across the front range from KFLY was great.
IMG_1422r_zps8700150c.jpg

Monday the winds at LXV were 40 kts, but Tuesday it was darn near calm, we came up the valley from Buena Vista, and landed on 34.
IMG_1441r_zpsef2bc503.jpg

The airport folks are great http://www.lxvairport.com/, and lent us the "crew van" to go into town. We ate at the Tennessee Pass Cafe, they have great rubens!

As usual N92BF gave us a nice photo op in the mountains of Colorado. We are extremely lucky to have such a great ride.
IMG_1446r_zpsa766793b.jpg

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great ride up to Leadville. I did some mountain flying instruction with my 7A in 2004. Instructor thought my RV was a "ROCKET". We did Kremmling, Glenwood Springs, Aspen, and Leadville. It was a beautiful day with perfect weather.

Roberta:)

Glenwood Springs

If anyone does the Leadville trip, come on over to Glenwood Springs. It is a pretty small airport and a little tricky to get into, but cool town. Let me know in advance and I can most likely pic people up for lunch or leave a car there to use.

In the summer, you need to remember it is about 6000' elevation and there is a cold river just before the threshold that can make the landing interesting!

Nice photos Geoff! That was also one of my destinations during my mountain flight training in a Citabria...scenic airport and friendly staff. Now that I am finally flying, I cant wait to take the -7 up there one of these days.

Rocky Mountains! What an adventure... In July Lisa and I flew the RV from south Louisiana thru the Rockies with over night stays in La Juanta and Salida. Our planned stop in Leadville was hampered by cloud coverage...used Leadville as a waypoint to visit Glenwood Springs. On to Rifle, brother-in-law picked us up for week stay. We experienced many highlights...Utah, Aspen, Marble, just to name a few. Departed Rifle and landed in Telluride for an overnight stay. We loved it so much we went back in September! We returned to Rifle for a cupple of nights then on to Gunnison where our friend picked us up for to spend 4 nights in Crested Butte. Can't wait to go back for more adventures in this beautiful mountain range!

Ah Leadville. It's on my bucket list just up the road from Santa Fe...

Just a little longer to go, finishing up the longerons...

Bob

Looks great!

Geoff, looks like you got those tires back on. I'd like to get that picture with my plane up there. I'll have to fire up Photoshop to see mine there :)
It was good talking to you and your partner a couple weeks ago.

Leadville

Bobby,

You were right , our mechanic wanted us to replace those spacers. After we did that the tires went back on just fine.

Rhill,

I take off at 70 mph, took me a bit more runway to reach that speed, probably between 1000 to 1500 ft or so. I then accelerate to 120 mph, and climb out at 1200 fpm. That worked fine at Leadville. Probably helps my wife Sabrina is kind of small. Once I was at pattern altitude, I climbed up to cruise altitude at about 800 fpm. We have a 360 with a three bladed Cato, seemed to have no trouble.

Geoff

Geoff thanks. What a great airport Leadville is. What OAT was at the time of your visit?

Next time take Rocky on his offer you won't regret :). Glenwood Springs Airport is located in a very beautiful valley and it's very easy to get in and out. Whoever visits that place call Rockwood before he moves out. You will get a royal treatment...

Leadville

Hi Vlad,

It was chilly, probably 5 C on the ground. I will try to get up to Glenwood soon!

Geoff

Awesome!

Geoff.....that is an absolutely great photo of your RV on the Leadville ramp....I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for sharing the pics:)

Back