What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another flight from Florida to Louisiana

tc1234c

Well Known Member
Last Sunday made another trip from Florida to Lake Charles, LA. The total distance is 663 nm.

SkyVector+Flight+Planning++Aeronautical+Charts+-+Google+Chrome+3102014+105957+AM.bmp.jpg

I usually don't cruise too fast, 135-140 kts work for me. We picked Bay Minette, Alabama (1R8) as our rest/fuel stop. The trip is broken into a 3 hr leg and another 2 hr leg. We have been to Bay Minette once and noticed a few other RVators have been there too. This time we were ahead of our schedule so we spent a little more time resting and chatting with people at the FBO. We discovered that this FBO not only has cheaper fuel but also some very unique features. First, if you buy fuel you get free lunch. 2nd, it has all female line staff. See the link below. No wonder it is so popular to military guys.

http://www.bayminetteaviation.com/
http://youtu.be/ri6qFxsfovI

IMG_4537.JPG

Last edited:
Since we made the same trip during Christmas time and took a lot of photos along the way, we did not capture much this time. Yet, there are always some interesting scenery that we enjoy.

A barge passing under a raised railway bridge (west of Bay Minette):
IMG_4549.JPG

From Google map:
Google+Maps+-+Google+Chrome+3102014+75640+PM.bmp.jpg

IMG_4550.JPG

I10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette.
IMG_4555.JPG

Swamp country
IMG_4558.JPG

Rice Field?
IMG_4566.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

IMG_4593.JPG

We tiedown at Vision Aviation at Lake Charles Regional Airport on Sunday afternoon. On Monday local news I noticed the yellow plane behind the visiting P51. This is the first time my airplane is at the background of a news cast.

Video+Landing+Page+-+KPLC+7+News%252C+Lake+Charles%252C+Louisiana+-+Google+Chrome+3112014+105321+AM.bmp.jpg

We have a 17 year old sick cat being taken care of by friends at home so we will not be able to spend the weekend here. Hope in the future we can stay longer and participate in the RV activities in the area.

Did he say free lunch?! Vlad - get your butt down to Bay Bay Minette!!

Last time I stopped there, the fuel price was good, but no one was around - I might make that my stop on the way to SnF in a couple of weeks...

Click the link on my post #1 and you will see what kind of food they offer! No fuel purchase the lunch is $8.

We tiedown at Vision Aviation at Lake Charles Regional Airport on Sunday afternoon. On Monday local news I noticed the yellow plane behind the visiting P51. This is the first time my airplane is at the background of a news cast.

Video+Landing+Page+-+KPLC+7+News%252C+Lake+Charles%252C+Louisiana+-+Google+Chrome+3112014+105321+AM.bmp.jpg

If memory serves me did Lima Foxtrot flash in Japan on one of their TV channels at some point? Or am I confusing things after just one beer? :D

Did he say free lunch?! Vlad - get your butt down to Bay Bay Minette!!

Paul I have all them free food locations marked. Yours too... As SkykingBob would say if I lose my job I could fly from free food to free food :D

If memory serves me did Lima Foxtrot flash in Japan on one of their TV channels at some point? Or am I confusing things after just one beer? :D

A few seconds of the wing tip video shot from Lima Foxtrot was (or will be) shown on Japanese TV.

I'm so glad we are actually starting to have some decent weather around here, it's been crappy for the better part of the winter.. Now we are just having some stiff winds.. Your over at LCH?

Flying in Florida

Hi guys i have RV9a in Australia and coming to sun n fun will be staying in lakeland from the 1st to the 12th and would like to now if I could go for a fly ii pay fuel ect
Charles Mifsud
Victoria
Australia

Bay Minette

1R8 is not just for South Field (helo) guys. Those of us from North Field like it just as well; and yes, I've watched plenty of Studs drool. Can't beat Southern hospitality and free food though.

Stopped by for fuel and free lunch at 1R8 today

We made it back from Lake Charles (LA) to Spruce Creek (FL) today. Stopped by Bay Minette for fuel and lunch and talked to their general manager. He said that he will post something on Sun n Fun website for fuel discount soon.

Long and wide runway:
IMG_4781.JPG

Well used by Navy:
IMG_4786.JPG

Arrived too early and waited for food. They offer breakfast and lunch. Menu is on their website. Today they had seafood and chicken gumbo. General manager is from New Orleans and he cooked the food.
IMG_4796.JPG

One of the collages on the wall.
IMG_4790.JPG

Even this miserable Saturday navy guys are doing their low level training (1,000', 180 kts). Of course they can not resist the free food while getting their airplane fueled up.
IMG_4810.JPG

Nice Report. I did my instrument check ride from Bay Minnette. There was a VOR approach (divergent from Mobile VOR) from the west and I flew it on the way in. By the numbers, it put me down so close to the trees that there was no way to see the airport. I told my examiner that he had better not put us in the trees. I reset all the instruments and flew as written and twice he gave me a new heading and finally he said it was **** and to take the hood off and land. I vowed never to do a divergent VOR approach in the soup. Never needed to.

I looks like the airport has not changed much in the past 28 years. Thanks for the report.

Back