What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's G3X Touch Dual Display Option

cactusman

Well Known Member
Looks like it is up and running in Mitch's east coast demonstrator RV-12. Facebook post from Van's indicates it is a while off. Certainly a contender for anyone a ways out from ordering their avionics kit.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/vans-aircraft-inc/garmin-g3x-touch-officially-announced/773831965960511

Interested in any intel on how hard the conversion was, any differences in flying with this set-up versus the Dynon, how much of the old harness was pulled, or if it was pretty much plug and play. Q/A at the bottom of the above FB post was certainly helpful i thought, but nothing like hearing from the guy who did the panel and wiring.

Mitch?

Note in the Van's Aircraft Facebook post, it states that no one at Van's has seen it or flown with it.
Not even Mitch.
Garmin co-developed the installation with Van's and did the actual installation work in their development shop.
They will be delivering the airplane to S&F, which will be the first chance for Van's pilots to fly it with the G3X system.

I'm just as anxious as anyone to see this system and fly behind it. Looks like it will be a nice addition to our avionics lineup.

Hey Mitch, did you even know that your airplane had been stolen? :)

The Vandals from Kansas strike again....

Well, I sure would not have predicted this! Question - how much less power does the Garmin screen use than a second Skyview would? Does the Garmin have its own backup battery?

Paul,

I thought something looked a little empty about my hanger. Couldn't quite get a handle on it though until yesterday. It all became clear.

Actually, the Garmin RV-12 is N112VA, an SLSA model. Mine is N912VA, which is an E-LSA. I will be blessed with both airplanes in my hanger for a while.

Say hi to Louise for me.

Having experience with both the Garmin G3 in the Skycatcher, and the Dynon in the SportCruiser, I would say that the Garmin is more intuitive to operate than the Dynon. The Garmin touchscreen video even shows a 3 screen install.

I'm supposed to be picking up my finish kit in early April. I would like to know if there's wiring or parts in the finish kit that would need to be changed or modified if I decide to go with the Garmin system when I order the Avionics kit next winter? I'm getting busy with spring activities and probably won't really need to finish kit until next fall so it might pay to put it on hold until then.

I'm supposed to be picking up my finish kit in early April. I would like to know if there's wiring or parts in the finish kit that would need to be changed or modified if I decide to go with the Garmin system when I order the Avionics kit next winter? I'm getting busy with spring activities and probably won't really need the finish kit until next fall, so it might pay to put it on hold until then.

Jim

Paul,

I thought something looked a little empty about my hanger. Couldn't quite get a handle on it though until yesterday. It all became clear.

Actually, the Garmin RV-12 is N112VA, an SLSA model. Mine is N912VA, which is an E-LSA. I will be blessed with both airplanes in my hanger for a while.

Say hi to Louise for me.

Well, don't I feel and look stupid. Sorry for the mistake. Too many - "12's" in the N-numbers around here!

I sold all my FB stock today just to punish myself.

Still, interesting developments and look forward to any reports.

Ample power from Rotax for dual screens

I had understood that Van's removed the second Dynon Skyview screen from the RV-12 package (was included in the early presentations about the Skyview upgrade) due in part to concerns about adequate electrical power from the Rotax 912 when an external alternator was not installed. So, does the dual screen Garmin option use less power than the dual Skyview screens were drawing?

Maybe its too early to know for sure given that the test platform has not been flown very much yet??

How much less?

Extra words added because the previous response was just begging for it...

The SkyView system draws about the same power. There was perhaps some confusion about comparing our published nominal, conservative numbers against measured numbers in the Garmin. If you measure SkyView current draw you will find it less than our published numbers, as is good practice. And some of the various modules (comparing the two systems) use more or less than each other. But as a total the SkyView is about the same, and it remains to be seen which is more or less by a small amount.

-Robert
Dynon Avionics

The SkyView system draws about the same power. There was perhaps some confusion about comparing our published nominal, conservative numbers against measured numbers in the Garmin. If you measure SkyView current draw you will find it less than our published numbers, as is good practice. And some of the various modules (comparing the two systems) use more or less than each other. But as a total the SkyView is about the same, and it remains to be seen which is more or less by a small amount.

-Robert
Dynon Avionics

The decision was made based on actual experience with dual screens installed in the prototype RV-12 (N412RV), not engineering specifications.

So there is hope?

So if they draw approximately the same power, and we move the voltage regulator for better cooling, can we add one touch Dynon, and move our current Dynon to the right side?
Are they compatible?

The new Garmins will have to wait for the upgrade on the -10 someday. The future is exciting. Things just get better every day.

What we really need is Tesla's screen in the center of our consoles. Make it totally customizable using software that is open sourced and we all can share. It is probably not too far away.

Back