What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight

Stevea

Well Known Member
After making a serious run at the "world's slowest builder" award, I finally decided RV-6A S/N 22980 was ready to fly. First flight was Saturday 3/8/14. The only thing to say is it was MOST DEFINITELY worth the wait! :D

My brother was designated photographer and took some great photos.
http://zerofourtango.smugmug.com/Aircraft-and-Flying/N9806A/i-FnCvzg8

Looks like I am #8600 on the Van's Hobbs meter.

Keep pounding rivets..........

Congratts!!!!!

It only took 15 months to first flight with our "Quick build" 9a and I was excited to finally (LOL) get it in the air. I cannot imagine how excited you must be to push the throtte in and feel it leave the ground, AWESOME!!!!!!

Nice holding of the front wheel "off" on landing!!

Have fun!!

Bob

Great!

Steve,

Another great 6a. I finished mine one year ago and like it more every day. I've had a couple of excellent instructors in it recently and they both loved the way it flys. Makes me happy I built such a well designed plane.

John

Phase 1 time to date:
4 flights, 6.2 hours

Working on improving the baffle sealing to reduce some high (at least higher than I'd like) CHTs, mostly on climb out. Sealing ALL the leaks, along with a larger power reduction and higher cruise climb than I have been using should bring the temps down enough. (Yes, I've combed the archives for info what to do and how to do it. Just need to work through the fixes.)

So far, the best part is it flies great. The second best part is not having to wait in the FBO while the previous renter pilot is late. Third is not having to hurry back, because someone has the plane after me.

Back