What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lake Michigan Ice Flight

Paul K

Well Known Member
The sun is shining! Woo Hoo!

The RV has escaped the hangar and took me for a 2.6 hr flight this beautiful day. On the way back from lunch, I ventured out over Lake Michigan. I was hoping to get some photos of the ice but there was a line of low clouds covering the entire lake as far as I could see :mad: I was able to get some photos through a few holes and couldn't fine any open water.

This is taken about 5 miles from shore. The white area is hard ice and the darker ice is lake ice that moves with the wind.
IMG_1446.JPG

About 10 miles off shore, large cracks. I am at about 4000 feet.
IMG_1449.JPG

Nice Paul. I have to come back out to East Lansing this coming week and was thinking of driving up to the bridge to look. Great pictures!

rockwoodrv9a,

People are walking on the ice well beyond the end of the pier at Grand Haven. Looks kinda scary to me but I saw some about a mile out :eek: The ice really is amazing. The wife and I are cutting out of work early this afternoon and going to take a walk on it.

My trip out there got changed until next week. Next time I am out for more than a couple days, I would like to get together to see your plane. It looks like you are not too far away from East Lansing.

2.6 h is a good flight Paul. Just enough to warm up. Nice excursion over a Great Lake. The last sight I remember was this :)

Vlad,

Never really warmed up! 2.6 included going to lunch with the guys and a whole lot of chasing around. Can't even begin to cover the whole lake in 2.6 not even in an RV:D

Rockwoodrv9a

Absolutely! Let's try to make it happen.

I live on the north side of Grand Rapids, about 7 minutes from 8D4.
Give me a shout, I watch the forums daily, I know, I'm addicted!

March Ice update!

Took off this afternoon looking for open water on Lake Michigan again. Can't ever remember a March without most of the lake open!

Not this time, with the exception of a few pools and cracks, absolutely no open water. Flew out about 30 miles and turned around.

IMG_1459.JPG

Approaching the lake just south of Grand Haven at 6500 feet.

IMG_1461.JPG

Nothing but ice as far as I can see.

IMG_1466.JPG

No water here!

IMG_1468.JPG

A few little pools between the old white ice and the new blue ice. Thats about it.

With the temps finally getting above freezing for the first time this year today, hope to see some interesting breakups. I'll try to get some photos when it does.

Thanks for the pictures Paul. I was out last week and froze. Crazy I had to get back to Colorado to warm up! I should be back the week of the 16th. I will give you a shout if I get some time.

Lake Erie, too

I flew commercial over Lake Erie yesterday, and it too is 100% frozen over. I've lived my entire life in the Midwest and I can't recall seeing this much ice on the the Great Lakes.

Back