What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High Performance Cert Austin

BOHICA

Well Known Member
Anyone know of where I can get a high performance certification in Austin area that is not $300/hr? I need to get before I fly my 14A.

The cheapest and easiest to find HP airplane for rent will probably be a Cessna 182. I don't know the Austin area that well (DFW for me), but there are several places to rent from it appears from a quick search, in the $195/hr range.

The problem you will run into is that although you can rent them, many of them are in clubs or arrangements where you need a checkout, and for example our club, and it appears many others, requires a minimum 5 hour checkout if you don't otherwise meet the minimums, either for the club or their insurance. Otherwise, most clubs require a buy in or entry fee, plus monthly dues. Get's expensive if you just want to use a plane once just to get the endorsement.

You can get your HP endorsement in as little as an hour (actually there isn't a minimum specified, just ground and flight logged), but any kind of publicly available HP airplane renter (or club) is probably going to require more than that.

In the friends scratching each others back realm, you could probably find a HP airplane owner that is, or is comfortable with, a CFI and you flying their airplane, and get the endorsement that way, might cost you a nice lunch or so.

If you have time, you can also hang out at a local glider club, many of them use 182's for the tow plane, do some ride alongs, get your HP endorsement AND your tow endorsement in one shot.

One other thing might be to track down a simulator to rent. 61.31f says it can be "in a full flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and...". You could probably get sim time way cheaper.

Not sure if this helps...

$300/hour for the plane and CFI in a HP aircraft doesn't seem out of range to me. Here in SoCal you can pay $200/hour plus for a C-172, and that's just the A/C!

-Marc

Back