What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Actions before closing the tanks

jamcgee1978

Greetings from across the pond !
So after a successful leak free water test on both tanks apart from giving them a good clean is there any outstanding things i maybe am not thinking off that need doing before finally closing them up with the baffle. For example i had read about slightly bending the fuel line upwards near the filler cap?

Thanks
James

The bend would be in the vent line. If the lineman ever tops the fuel off, you will loose anything above where the vent line ends. The last little bit in the tank comes up really fast. I generally use self serve, and only fill to about 1/2" below the cap to avoid that issue.

Just make sure the senders go through their full swing without touching or rubbing anywhere. That assumes you are using the resistive senders provided by Vans.

I also made sure the inside of the tanks was absolutely clean.

Photos

Perhaps take some good clear photos of each bay, so that in the unlikely and unfortunate case that there are any leaks once everything is sealed, you will know what you have to deal with. Hopefully there will never need to be a need to refer to the photos!

Bending the vent line tip up a little near the filler cap might be a good idea. Make sure the B-nut on the inside of the vent line bulkhead fitting, where it exits the inboard tank rib is tight. There have been a few of those on QB wings at our airport, mine included, that were loose. Not found until I saw fuel dripping out of the vent line with full tanks. I had to remove the tank, inboard fuel level sender cover plate, and tighten that nut. Easy to check before you close the tank.

Just me

Before closing the tanks, I wish I would have put an second fuel level float sender in each outboard end cap. With one on the inboard rib cap and one on the outboard rib cap, the modern avionics should be able to calculate fuel level accurately from full to empty. I did not finish the engineering to see how it would clear the fuel filler and vent. YMMV

I?d consider testing with slightly pressurized air. Gas can seep thru where water doesn?t, and there is the issue of the top of the tank.
You might also consider the internal vent mod (alternate vent inside the wing root, normally closed off by a low pressure activation check valve.)
IMHO another fuel sender, just to measure the fuel between 25 and 30 gal, is way down the priority list.

Back