What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thoughts before skin rivet?

jamcgee1978

So I have been so focused on starting my -10 project I pushed thoughts of the Interior & Panel design to the side thinking I wouldn't have to think about that for a year or two. Mmmm well 4 months in and im thinking already.

So far my V stab is complete, rudder is ready for the trailing edge to be riveted and the H Stab construction after a few days is motoring.

Is there a tried and tested method for location on the aircraft with devices such as Lighting/Antennas/Static/AP/Trim. Does this involve the tail section?, does anyone have any good links regards this for a newbie

Thanks
James

Some of it does and while you don't need to install those components now, you'll want to give some thought to how you would do so in the future -- like adding wiring conduit where applicable.

Lighting - typically you'll see folks place a Nav/Strobe light on the back of the rudder fairing (it's molded specifically for this). As a result, some opt to use nutplates and screws to attach that fairing vs rivets called out in the plans for easier wiring access. I revetd mine and have not had any issues removing my strobe (it has a MOLEX connecter).

Antennas -- lots of choices here. I've got 4 in my tailcone (#1 Com, Transponder, ELT, and VOR) Of those, the VOR is the one that will most likely require some forethought as to placement (on top of the VS, on the bottom of the tailcone (under the HS--this is where mine is)) or in a wingtip) and associated wiring runs. The other types of antennas, if you place them on the tailcone, can be dealt with later in the build without too much of a problem.

Static - Installing the static posts is easiest before the tailcone is attached to the fuse. The choice here is whether to go with the plans or buy aftermarket ports (again lots of threads on this subject). I went after market (SafeAir) and I've very pleased with the results.

Autopilot -- the pitch servo can be added later in the build, even after the tailcone is attached to the fuse.

Trim - the kit includes elevator trim so no issue there. If you want rudder trim, you have to choices -- roll your own servo system (there are threads on this here at VAF) or go with a spring bias system that can be added at anytime after you have the fuse/tailcone completed and the rudder system installed.

You might want to look at installation of the autopilot servo mounting brackets for pitch and yaw (if you intend to include a yaw dampener). This will likely require you to decide on the EFIS brand you intend to use, so that you get the right brackets. I found that I needed to drill out a few rivets in the assembly holding the elevator bell crank in order to install the Garmin G3X servo brackets back there. I didn't install this until after I had mated the tail cone to the fuselage, and it would have been much easier to have done this earlier. Wasn't a significantly harder effort, but did require some crawling into the tail cone.

I also installed the Van's AHRS shelf (P/N IF AHRS MOUNT-10) after building the tail cone. This required removing several rivets in order to install the shelf support, then re-riveting. This shelf doesn't seem to be used with modern day AHRS units so not required, but it will be a good place for mounting my ELT unit. If you intend to include this shelf in your build, you might want to order it and install it during the tail cone build.

I found it easy to install tail cone mounted antennas after the fuselage was attached, and didn't have any difficulty running the limited number of wires required towards the back of the tail cone, so no need to worry about them right now. However, if you want to mount a Nav antenna in the vertical stabilizer (as I have done) that will be much easier to do while building the empennage than later.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Dave and Todd for your replies,

As my V stab is complete I'll opt for the Nav to be on the tailcone. This has given me a good start to the planning stage for the equipment to be installed. Ill crack on with the H stab and Elevators for now.

And I thought Id be thinking about this next year!

Back