What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Completed wiring harness from Van's

cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
My RV 9A QB kit came today and as I am figuring what in the world have I done :confused: , I began by searching Van's catalogue. I think that the wiring harness as built by Van's for the RV 9A would do what I need.

I have no experience wiring etc. I hope to have an IFR RV when I finish with heated pitot, wing tip strobes, tip antennas, etc.

Any suggestions? Should I order the bus as well?

Cleve

EXP-Bus

Hi Cleve ...
Get the Exp Bus from Vans ... you won't regret the small investment, and the simplicity that it will bring to your wiring. While I did not build an IFR 9a, I TOO knew less than nothing about wiring. Hang in there.
Tom Sampson
Portland, Oregon

Cleve,

I bought their wiring harness and wound up cutting it appart so I could use the wire.

Since I'm installing a "non standard" panel, it wouldn't have worked for me.

That harness is really made for those who are using the Van's prepunched panel and all of their instruments, radios, etc.

I suggest you work out your wiring diagram, pass it around for comments, and then go with it. Not a big deal and a good chance to learn something (else) new.

Just my $.02.

Best of luck with whatever you go with.

Cleve,

Don't be afraid - wiring is just like plumbing, only you don't get all wet!

If you are just getting your QB kit, you've got some time before you have to worry about a lot of wiring. I'd suggest carving out a litle time and reading through Bob Knuckoll's book (Aeroelectric Connection) first. If it all still seems to be a total mystery, and your palms are all sweaty, then the pre-made harness may be for you. But I'd bet there's a good chance that when you're done, you'll not only have a good enough understanding of how to do it, but several clever ideas about how to do things that will make the system "your own".

Van's system is very simple, and will work - but rolling your own is really pretty easy, and allows for your own creativity.

Paul

Cleve:

I too opted to forego the Vans harness. I was a bit timid at first because it meant I must design my system but after doing some research and learning some skills, I've found the wiring part to be the most enjoyable. Like others have mentioned, it is built for Vans' idea of an electrical system. If you install an EFIS, electronic ignition or a more capable panel, you will need to substantially modify the harnesses, especially if you want an E-bus, dual alternators or dual batteries.

I agree with Paul, you have lots of time to prepare for "rolling your own" later. By the time you get to the point of buying your FWF kit, you will likey have already wired most of the items aft of the panel and will have learned quite a bit about wiring.

Jekyll

Wiring harness worked for me

I went with the Van's wiring harness. It comes with circuit breaker switches, some circuit breakers, and ALL the heavy duty wire to wire the battery, starter, master, and ground wires as well as wires for the various engine instrument probe wires (I used the standard Van's guages.).

The big thing is, the Van's wiring harness includes all the wire and connectors to get the basic things EVERY airplane needs to be complete. It does NOT include wires for avionics and radios.

It DOES come with the circuit breakers, buss bar, and everything to hook up your starter, battery, ignition switch, master, alternator, taxi and landing lights, nav lights, strobes, fuel pump & flaps. Complete with labeling and wiring diagram. I found this easy to get my BASIC airplane electrical requirements up and running.

Then it was up to ME to wire the avionics (radios, transponder, gps, EFIS, stick grips, ELT, etc.) I had to buy extra wire and ring terminals to accomplish this. I personally thought it was a good value and added a good bit of speed getting the basic things connected (ie. all wires premade, cut to length, labelled, ready to install with terminal rings on one end)

I decided against the Van's package. For me, running the FIRST wire was the hardest. Once you have that done and get a few more in, it gets tremendously easier from there. I was a little apprehensive at first but now everyone comments on well the wiring in my plane was done... it just takes time and patience. I don't know if I saved any money buy doing my own wiring but I gained a lot of knowledge of how it will react when things go wrong.

If I bought the Van's package, I'd still have to buy or borrow the electrical tools to finish the job. I guess it depends on how many goodies you decide to put in your plane!

Good luck

wiring

I too purchased the Van's wiring harness, being a novice and figuring it would be the easiest way to go on my RV 6A. I also found I could not use it as it came. So I cut the harness apart and ran each wire individually tracing it on the wiring diagram blueprint. That way I knew each wire went to where it should go. Still do not know if everything is correct, but when I connected a battery to the system, turned on the master switch, nothing bad happened. :D . No sparks, fire or smoke.

What I did do was purchase one of those communication hubs and the premade wiring harnesses for all my radios, navigation, and intercom systems. That made those wiring problems all disappear. It is pricey but the idea of trying to wire up all those pins and plugs was more daunting than I wanted to do.

Back