What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Too light on the countersink?

RVFan671

Well Known Member
See pics. I went 7 clicks deeper per standard instructions from when a rivet is flush with the sink, so it could support the dimple. The metal on the right is the stainless firewall and the left is aluminum F1001D. I primed with 3chem epoxy primer after etch and alodine. My thinking is the countersink maybe slightly shallow and the primer made it even more so. What are the thoughts here before I drill out a couple rivets or rivet the rest.

The picture where you see my thumb on the green metal is right where I have a single rivet installed between a couple clecos. The other pic with thumbs on the light I'm showing an empty hole between two clecos.

Attachments

• 20201130_211124.jpg
    20201130_211124.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 406
  • 20201130_211214.jpg
    20201130_211214.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 343
You are probably just fine. The dimple does not have a sharp edge compared to a countersink, but riveting will cause the dimpled material to conform. If you countersink so that the surfaces meet, there will actually be a slight gap under the dimple - but that also disappears during riveting. Personally, if I am countersinking for a nested dimple, I like to have it so a rivet inserted in the countersunk hole is just below flush, so only about 4 clicks past flush.

Back