What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Recess for

RV3Kev

I?m starting work on my firewall soon and I would like to keep open the option of using a CS prop. To do this it?s necessary to add a RV7/9 type recess into the firewall.

Does any have any information on the correct location on the firewall?

I went through this on mine.

I bought both the F-601K-1 recess and the one for the RV-4. The RV-4 recess is completely useless for the RV-3 since the -4 has a far different firewall shape. The F-601K-1 recess was not tall enough so I had to add on to it.

I described this part of my construction iin my blog here on VAF, in posts 241 through 245. I'm repeating some of the photos below. If you're only adding the governor, the stock recess ought to be fine. Adding the filter changed things. Although it would be heavier, a remote oil filter might be appropriate here.

Here's what I learned for the locations of things:

i6yzcg.jpg

This is the back of the engine:

28qyrep.jpg

The box I built:

34xkztg.jpg

It was so handy having the engine on hand before I started the firewall!

One thing that I'm not looking forward to is maintenance with the recess. While Andy Hill assured me that the filter can be changed, I think that both that and cleaning the recess might be difficult.

Dave
RV-3B, now skinning the fuselage

Last edited:
Kevin
I also used the 601K-1 recess and it works fine without being modified.
The engine is an O-320-D1A with the angled oil filter adapter and MT governor using VAN's bracket. The bracket needed minor tweaking to work.
I mounted it centered on the FW with the top of the recess riveted to the top horizontal FW angle.
I have some detailed pictures but don't want to take the time to figure out how to post them.
Email me if you would like the pictures.

sf3543 at sbcglobal dot net

Good luck

Back