What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

728MT Flies! Ring The Bell!

Tom Sampson

Hi Folks ...
I flew 728MT for the first time tonight!
Holly Smokes ... what a blast!

BUT ... To get ready to do that ... We had the airworthiness certification done Tuesday by DAR Frank Sneed, and EAA Tech Advisor Mike Robertson did the initial 1.2 hour test flight Wednesday to check flight characteristics.

We had VERY high oil temps (it turns out that I had selected the wrong temp probe choice in the Dynon ... changed that, and we are back to more normal new engine run-in temps). Had a heavy left wing. Martha and I re-adjusted the flap "up travel position" this afternoon. We also may not be developing full RPMs, so we'll chase an idea or two on that ... is it the real RPM, or is the Dynon set to the right calibration? (read: user inputs are probably wrong ... we'll see).

So ... after the final gut check, I went out for gas to equalize the wings, and then taxied for the run up and take off.

Right at 8pm PDT, density altitude was 2300, and I was off the ground in about 600 feet. Climbout was easy at 100 at somewhere over 1000 fpm. I have to admit to being nervous during the taxi over, but once on the centerline and full throttle I was alert but relaxed ... SO my many THANKS to Mike Seager for his thorough drilling during my transition training 2 weeks ago ... I knew what to expect and was confortable in the process.

Not a long flight as it was late and after a full work day ... and HOT in McMinneville Oregon to boot. BUT ... what a blast. Tango performed as expected, solid, stable, good throttle responses, little rudder required in turns. WOW ... I entered the pattern as the sun was setting, stable at 90, set flaps half on downwind at 85, full flaps just turning base at 80, down final at 75, and 65 over the numbers ... just like Mike taught me ... and the result (even with a 9 kt 20 degree x-wind) was the best RV landing I had ever made (obviously) ... and it was prototypical RV technique ... mains first and full aft stick holding off the nose gear ... AND I made the first taxiway on 04. Double WOW.

Taxi back, shut down, take stock, and make the notes in the log and the to-do list for tomorrow.

Today ... I became an Owner-Builder-Maintainer of a wonderful aircraft, that Martha and I built from parts ... and discovered again that I am a pilot, and in this case a bit of a test pilot.

The key indicators:
1710 hours over 1 year and 357 days.
Slow build kit.
With 15 weeks off waiting for kit parts to arrive, that figures to about 18 hours a week. AND, with a huge assist from Martha ... she was never around for the boring dimpling and deburing, but she bucked 70% of the rivets. Couldn't have done it without her.

AerosportPower new 0-320 D1a, with carb.
Catto 3 blade prop
Dynon EFIS and EMS from Tony at SafeAirOne
AvMap IV GPS
Garmin TXP and ICOM radio
EXP solid state circuitboard and annunciator panel from Vans
The FIRST dual exhaust from Larry Vetterman (like the RV10 dual, but designed for the RV9a)
Strobes, LED nav lights and taxi lights from Bill Von Dane at Creative Air
Ipod and GPS docks from Mike Schipper at AirGizmos
Fibergalss mentoring from Leighton Mangles
AND ... with GREAT help from Andy Karmy and Mike Schipper with positive thoughts, answers, encouragement and ideas.

All in All ... just over 70k invested, with paint scheduled for late this fall.

... What a blast ...
(Wait a minute ... that 3x "what a blast"s in one post! Oops!)

Regards
Tom Sampson
N728MT
Flying ... 1.8 hours.

Congrat!

That's OK - I think you're allowed as many as 7 "what a blastss" in a first flight posting... :D

Enjoy!

Paul

Congratulations!

What's the deal with your incorrect Dynon oil temp probe? They only sell 2, and I thought the only difference was that one is a pipe thread and the other UNF...?

Tom,
Great report. Some pics would be great. I'm about a year (at a slower pace than yours) behind you. Just started finish kit. Panel sounds much like I am planning so some pics there would also be great.
Have a great time enjoying your new machine and keep us posted on your experiences and numbers.

Congratulations. It is always motivating to hear that someone else has reached the status of flying. Have a safe test period and Enjoy!

Way to go Tom!

It is a blast, ain't it? And those pattern speeds are soooo important in the -9/9A. Take your time and enjoy getting acquainted with your new plane.

Bruce
N659DB
Flying 6.0 hrs

Last edited:
Great job

Having worked all day on the project yesterday to have one wing painted by 11pm last night i am sore and fed up...But then I read this post and went'Wow, one more wing to paint, fuel tanks SB's and I'm ready for final assembly...I'm NEARLY THERE!!!...But enough about me...:)

Its great to read encouraging posts like this one...Thanks so much

Frank

Congrats, and great write up. These first flight reports are a real inspiration to us that are slogging through the final 10% (aka 90%).

Dave

The FIRST dual exhaust from Larry Vetterman (like the RV10 dual said:
Congratulations Tom! Is this the exhaust with the mufflers? Is the noise level quite a bit less than the regular Vetterman exhaust?

Forgot to mention

On the Dynon they got the calibration wrong on the Lycoming temp sensor (Dynon claim the sensor calibration had changed). I discovered this when i dropped the sensor in boiling water, it read 20F high

Apparently the bug has been fixed in the current issue. I have not checked this personally however...if I get time before first flight I might do the boiling water thing again....Or I might just fly the darn thing!

Frank

Dynon Builder Mistake

Yep ... builder error.
I incorrcetly selcted the wrong oil temp probe choice ... now we are still reading 220+, but not where it was before.

And ... it's been VERY hot here ... 105 in Portland Oregon today ... so that can't help.

After 4 hours over the opast 3 days, we installed the fairings and they look great. Flight test on them tomorrow.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Sampson said:
We also may not be developing full RPMs, so we'll chase an idea or two on that ... is it the real RPM, or is the Dynon set to the right calibration? (read: user inputs are probably wrong ... we'll see).
If you don't have someone with an optical tach you can check RPMs using another airplane with a known good tach. If the good tach plane gets behind the questionable prop plane so the back pilot is looking through his prop at prop in question. The back pilot can nudge his throttle untill the plane in front's prop 'stops'... sort of like a strobe light thing. I've done this on several occasions and find it works quite well... I will assume your RPM's aren't off by a factor of 2. Never tried it with a 3 blade...

This trick is a good way for a formation flight to sound really cool if everyone is flying CS props... but don't tell anyone I told you.

Tach RPMs

Thanks for the idea Chuck!
I borrowed a PropTach from Randy Lervols today, and the PRMs are now right on ... just needed a slight adjust.
Tom

Back