What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Cabin Heat Problem Solved

Tom Sampson

Hi Folks ...
After flying a "its pretty cold in the winter" RV9a and now an RV7, we've solved the heat situation. Here's what we did:

1. Bought a 2nd exhaust heat muff from Vans
2. Closed the aft baffle heat exit hole
3. Added 2 "front of the baffle" heat air intakes
4. Added 1 stock firewall heat box and pull-cable
5. Added 2 curved air deflectors above each new heat air intake baffle hole (drawer pulls from Home Depot Aircraft Supply)

The results is "OMG we have heat now!", and plenty of it. We still have a slightly drafty cabin, but it's no longer uncomfortable.

Not sure that I can post photos here, so if you want to see the end result email me at: [email protected]

Regards, Tom Sampson
Portland, Oregon

/Users/tomsampson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2011/03/20/20110320-142331/IMG_0198.JPG

/Users/tomsampson/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2011/03/20/20110320-142331/IMG_0201.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Vetterman mufflers!

No need for all that, install Vettermann Mufflers and you will have plenty of hot air. No need to change anything else. Of course that does not solve the draft problem.

Regards, Tonny

the draft problem can be a blessing, if you have a co problem you won't die. Of course always have a current co card stuck in your plane and you can know for sure. I have the mufflers and run the left muffler into my panel vent, that is real nice. I also have to wear glasses to see far away and have a set in the plane. On cold days I put on my glasses and they fog right up. I open the vent heat and blow it right on my glasses, within seconds after startup my glasses are clear and I have heat, real nice.

Really?

No need for all that, install Vettermann Mufflers and you will have plenty of hot air. No need to change anything else. Of course that does not solve the draft problem.

Regards, Tonny

Is your IOX a horizontal or vertical servo?

Larry Vetterman told me that the mufflers won't fit an A model with horizontal servo.

RV 7 Heat Solved

Our install has Vetterman mufflers and heat muffs. Heat is a relative issue, and many Vans pilots in the northern USA and Canada fly in very cold winter temps, often below zero. We tested our install in sub zero temps at altitude, vs without, and saw a HUGE difference vs what a single exhaust heat muff could deliver. FYI, this add-on was accomplished after speaking with Larry Vetterman, who fully endorsed our move as the right solution to provide more heat. For $200 we are delighted. Email off line if you want photos. Good Luck, Tom Sampson, Portland, Oregon ... flying toasty.

Vertical servo

Is your IOX a horizontal or vertical servo?

Larry Vetterman told me that the mufflers won't fit an A model with horizontal servo.

I guess its vertical: Precision fuel injection, with a standard Vans Airfilter.

Regards, Tonny.

Cabin Heat That Works Great

I've been lurking around this forum for years and not posted much since I am a flyer, not a builder.
I have been flying an RV7 that I bought back in Nov, 2011 and loving every minute and thought I should post about one of its unique features.
I'm an airline pilot and based nearly 180 miles from where I live so a year round
IFR comfortable RV was a necessity.
I have been reading posts from time to time that people were looking to improve the heat in their RVs.
As it turns out, the builder had built many homebuilt aircraft over some 30 years and had been working on developing a reliable heater system for them. I have been very pleased for several years with the one in my RV. It not only provides dual controllable heat and defrost, but also some positive cabin pressure that alleviates cold air blow back from the rear of the canopy. I never wear a jacket and fly in shirt sleeves at all altitudes all year round.
After years of development and testing, my friend Mike has put his system on the market to "warm" up the homebuilt community.
I'm not affiliated with his company but I do think those of you who want to fly year round can benefit from a look at his website.
I hope its OK to post the URL here.

www.reachaircraftcabinheaters.com

As my friend says , "It's so much more than just a heater". Don't ask me, ask my wife - she is the one that has to stay warm and happy to fly with me - and she does.

Brooks Yeilding
N587RV

Stuffing a stainless steel potscrubber inside my cabin heat muff did a big improvement on my RV6's cabin heat.

...or you could try this:

image_085.jpg

I wrapped the heater box with header wrap from the aviation aisle at Auto Palace.

I take it off in the summer, as it is not needed.

Works for me!

:) CJ

Back