What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weep No More suggestions

Last tank repairer used too much pro seal and didn’t cure it properly. Any recommendations on packaging. We plan to use Weep No More llc. What has been your experience with their work?

Last tank repairer used too much pro seal and didn’t cure it properly. Any recommendations on packaging. We plan to use Weep No More llc. What has been your experience with their work?

Do the repairs yourself and save a whole bunch of trouble (and $$$) packaging your tanks to send off to WNM. It's not that difficult and the repair parts are available from Vans. I can provide plenty of pics and put you in touch with Bruce Hill who helped my with my tanks.
Here are a couple of links regarding tank repair that Bruce has done:
https://www.overthehills.com/Airplanes/Tank-Repair-for-Scott/
and
https://www.overthehills.com/Airplanes/Tank-Repair-for-Marc/

Go for it!
-Marc

The last tank repairer didn't use to much Proseal. He didn't mix it according to the 10-1 instructions. I have never had it not cure. I have a can of sealer and the hardener (been in refrigerator) that is 26 years old.
I tried a batch a few days ago and it got hard just like the 5 month old batch does.
Now that said, I would never use the old stuff on a tank repair. But it will glue in pitot ports just fine. The reason I have newer stuff is for building new tanks.
The tanks I just built were to replace another crappy job done by who know who.
Learn how and do it yourself and then you will be confidant of the repairs.
Watch Scott's video from Van's and it will help gain the understanding of the simplicity of these tanks..
Get a digital scale and mix it correctly and you won't have problems.
Happy sealing Art

Yes, digital scale is a MUST. This is NOT the place to be guessing “looks good to me ”.

Our Tanks

We had Weep No More completely reseal both tanks on our RV-6. Building two boxes wasn’t too bad. The shipping bill was real expensive, but the tanks are perfect. I was reluctant to toss the boxes even though they were white elephants in the hangar for some months. I retweaked one box to ship some parts that I sold. I gave the other one to another RV-6 owner who’s tank also went to Weep No More on the agreement that he couldn’t bring them back. Paul at WNM was great.

I had Weep no More do my RV-10 tanks in 2016 after “repairing” various leaks since 2011. They have a 7 year warranty and I have not had any issues. They did a great job and sent pictures as they were working on the tanks.

A friend and I built a plywood crate and used 3/4inch foam sheathing (multiple layers as required) and cross ribs to keep the tanks apart in the crate and protect them. Absolutely no damage to the tanks or paint. I think it cast about $100 in material.

Cost back then was $2434 including $528 (for both to/from) for shipping by Old Dominion.

It was worth the cost to me to get the leaks fixed once and for all.

Hope this helps.

TJ

Last edited:
Do the repairs yourself and save a whole bunch of trouble (and $$$) packaging your tanks to send off to WNM. It's not that difficult and the repair parts are available from Vans. I can provide plenty of pics and put you in touch with Bruce Hill who helped my with my tanks.
Here are a couple of links regarding tank repair that Bruce has done:
https://www.overthehills.com/Airplanes/Tank-Repair-for-Scott/
and
https://www.overthehills.com/Airplanes/Tank-Repair-for-Marc/
Marc, some questions:
1. Are those repair covers simply pop-riveted on, with pro-seal between them and the rear wall of the tank?
2. What size hole cutter is that? 4", 5"?
3. How did you remove the old pro-seal inside the tanks, or did you apply new over old?
4. How have the tanks held up since the repair?

Thanks!

Marc, some questions:
1. Are those repair covers simply pop-riveted on, with pro-seal between them and the rear wall of the tank?
2. What size hole cutter is that? 4", 5"?
3. How did you remove the old pro-seal inside the tanks, or did you apply new over old?
4. How have the tanks held up since the repair?

Thanks!

(1) Yes they are pulled rivets but the sealed type. Proseal only between the cover and the bulkhead.
(2) I believe it's a 5" cutter, but I didn't personally drill the holes. You can choose any hole saw that leaves enough metal to rivet and seal.
(3) Removing the old sealant is tough, but it's probably better to remove it. Use Polygone and be patient! I believe that you could cover an old leaking bead of proseal as long as you completely encapsulated the old bead and went all the way to clean bright metal.
(4) The major problem I was having has been resolved, but there is still a small leak at the wing root on the left tank that is going to be redone. The air really blow around in there so it's tough to see exactly where the leak is but I feel confident we'll get it resolved.

-Marc

Pallet of or no?

I had Weep no More do my RV-10 tanks in 2016 after “repairing” various leaks since 2011. They have a 7 year warranty and I have not had any issues. They did a great job and sent pictures as they were working on the tanks.

A friend and I built a plywood crate and used 3/4inch foam sheathing (multiple layers as required) and cross ribs to keep the tanks apart in the crate and protect them. Absolutely no damage to the tanks or paint. I think it cast about $100 in material.

Cost back then was $2434 including $528 (for both to/from) for shipping by Old Dominion.

It was worth the cost to me to get the leaks fixed once and for all.

Hope this helps.

TJ
I'm getting ready to ship both of my RV6 tanks to Weep No More. Did you place your crate on a pallet or was it shipped by itself?

I’ve sent several sets of tanks to Paul, modified large garment moving boxes with blue insulation foam, construction adhesive and packing tape. shipped via Fed Ex ground. These tanks are going on a 6a project I’m working on.

Attachments

• E974E9A3-25E4-4581-A718-F62ED0A1CC65.jpg
    E974E9A3-25E4-4581-A718-F62ED0A1CC65.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 81
  • A661E79E-6E82-47FB-9382-E6AC03B37307.jpg
    A661E79E-6E82-47FB-9382-E6AC03B37307.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 68
Thanks for the pics

I appreciate the feed back. Do you recall what the FedEx ground cost was and did you tell them you were shipping fuel tanks?

For those who want to repair their own tank

If you repair your own tank use Chemseal, half the price of Proseal and is the exact same stuff. If you use the tubes there is no measuring or weighing. You need 8oz per tank. Buy the drill mixer if using the tubes instead of hand mixing with handle, well worth buying the mixer. Apply with finger using tight thick gloves so when you apply it the glove on finger doesn’t move around or stretch or tear.

I appreciate the feed back. Do you recall what the FedEx ground cost was and did you tell them you were shipping fuel tanks?

One way shipping via fed ex ground from Texas was 296.00 for both boxes (05/22). I told them they were aircraft parts. They were drained dried and purged prior to shipping.

Back