What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming O-320 D2G oil sump - two drains, two drain plugs?

S. Soule

I have an O-320 D2G. The oil sump has two drain plugs. One, toward the front of the engine, has a plug with safety wire and a square nut head to loosen and tighten the plug. All perfectly understandable. The rear has a recessed plug, flush with the sump, that has a hex socket that takes a 3/8 hex wrench. Photo attached. I have seen other Lycomings with a quick drain at that location. I would like to put one there because it is the lowest part of the oil sump when the aircraft is parked. Am I just asking for trouble?

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 101
I have the same question. I wish to use the rear one on the right side for a quick drain. Has the most protection from the exhaust.

Any reason why we cant?

Thanks

Just me

I moved the plugs and drains around so that the drain was at the low point and convenient. But there are two sizes of plugs thou so be careful.

The two locations are there to give you options, for instance if an exhaust pipe blocks one. Use whichever is most convenient for your installation - which you may not know until you get everything else installed FWF.

Thanks Paul. Yes the exhaust on the front wont allow for a quick drain.

And the rear one does appear to be a different size and not compatible with the one I bought.

Go figure........

Thanks

Tim

Back