What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you put in your passenger footwells?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
Curious as to what people are putting in the passenger footwell? I'm not a fan of carpet, and prefer a more spartan/bare interior over anything plush.

I'd like to put something to dampen vibration for the passenger's feet and provide some insulation, but will be easy to keep clean. I'm considering using some 3/16" thick Sorbothane: https://www.ebay.com/itm/251452617990

Any other suggestions?

I usually allow my passengers to put their feet in the passenger foot wells.
Ha! I knew that was coming! :D

Mine are bare, and I think it's a good idea to make sure any prospective passengers have good shoes that will be warm and protect them in case they need to run from a burning wreck. The number of people I've seen flying in flip-flops is very surprising.

Cork?

I usually allow my passengers to put their feet in the passenger foot wells.
:D

Ha! I knew that was coming! :D

Mine are bare, and I think it's a good idea to make sure any prospective passengers have good shoes that will be warm and protect them in case they need to run from a burning wreck. The number of people I've seen flying in flip-flops is very surprising.
+1 on what Mickey said.

Mine are bare for now (primer only), and I'm thinking of installeing some 1/8 to 3/16 thick cork.

I put self adhesive non-skid, same stuff I put under my feet up forward. Not the sandpaper stuff, the textured vinyl type.

Carl

Mine have been bare (just paint) for fifteen years - makes them easy to clean when they get messy from either feet or the snacks and snack wrappers that inevitably find their way to those spots when I am solo on long trips.

And when I am solo, one side holds those snacks and water bottles, and the other is for iPads and other nav stuff.

Lots and lots of RV-8 cross country in painted footwells. When 2 up, my wifes feet go there. When solo, water bottles and other "stuff". Never even considered carpet or anything else. In the Rocket, I removed the footwells completely. Her feet are on the lower skin.

My whole 8 floor is covered in heavy duty outdoor pool carpet, that ribbed synthetic stuff, I want the comfort and quietness -) Safer when ones feet are wet also. I drove my plane once with no covering at all, it was awful, drummy, noisy, felt 'cheap'

Last edited:
Back