What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon and a GPS

ChrisMallory

I'm looking for help with the Dynon Skyview to GPS integration.

It appears from the reading that the Skyview will do all of the work and display, but needs an external IFR GPS if legal IFR flight is intended.

I think one could easily hook up a Garmin, but that seems like a lot of expense for fancy input output on the Garmin that one would not use.

Has someone figured out an inexpensive IFR GPS with WAAS that will talk to the Dynon, giving legal IFR fight and approach capability?

Cheers,

Chris

The least expensive option at the moment for GPS is the Garmin GPS-175. Remember, the databases are part of what makes it legal for IFR, not just the GPS part. TSO compliance is costly.

There are no “inexpensive” TSO GPS IFR navigator options. The SkyView however will play with all of these options.

Decide what you want. If you want GPS approach and ILS capability, the GTN-650 is one overpriced option. If you want just GPS, The Garmin GNC 355 GPS/Comm is my choice. To supplement I add the Dynon radio as COMM #2.

For all the GPS IFR navigator options you will use the SkyView ARINC module to make them play with the SkyView. Integration is very intuitive (at least on the SkyView side - I find the GTN-650 clunking in comparison).

Note - the SkyView 2020 GPS antenna/receiver is WAAS. It meets the requirements for ADS-B out - and using the SkyView transponder this is all integrated out of the box. If you want IFR on the cheap, go find a nice SL-30 NAV/COMM to be legal, then only fly IFR where where you end with a visual or ILS approach. The as is SkyView GPS will work just fine as your “backup”. For me this exceeds my risk tolerance - but others may disagree.

Carl

There are no “inexpensive” TSO GPS IFR navigator options.
Carl

The TSO expense is the problem. People may recall that the gps used for adsb was also very expensive until the faa changed ‘must be TSO’d’ to a manufacturer’s statement that it met the ‘performance requirement’.

OP if you can find an inexpensive IFR certified WAAS gps someone here will figure out how to integrate it. Unfortunately that black box you want does not exist.

About the closest you're going to get for all-in-one is a used 430W, the market is holding about $6000 for those now.

Another IFR Gps option is the Avidyne IFD410 - at least you can get up to 4 years warranty (I think so as the IFD 440 had when I bought mine).

If you get a Garmin GNX375, could you forgo getting the Dynon ADSB out transponder ($2300) and the Dynon gps receiver ($575)? That would give you ifr gps, adsb in and out all in one unit, and a cost savings vs getting the dynon stuff plus an ifr navigator

If you get a Garmin GNX375, could you forgo getting the Dynon ADSB out transponder ($2300) and the Dynon gps receiver ($575)? That would give you ifr gps, adsb in and out all in one unit, and a cost savings vs getting the dynon stuff plus an ifr navigator
You will still need a Dynon GPS, but you could use the SV-GPS-250 at $200.

Incorrect statement

You will still need a Dynon GPS, but you could use the SV-GPS-250 at $200.

If you hook up one of the new Garmin GPS receivers, 175, 355, or 375, using the ARINC 429 module, it will also input your GPS position into SkyView, so you don’t need a Dynon GPS puck for SkyView position.

You will also need to run a second RS232 output from the GPS into the serial data input to the transponder for ADSB out. You will not be able to use the same RS232 output that goes to the ARINC 429 module as the output to the transponder is a different format.

If you would like my wiring diagram and setup directions to connect the GPS to ARINC 429 module, email me at [email protected], and I will forward it to you.

Brian

Always remember everything has to work together. Does the garmin adsb-in interface with the Dynon efis? If not, a 175, Dynon transponder, adsb-in box is about the same cost as the 375.

Back