What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto vs MT

smokyray

Well Known Member
Just test flew my newly designed Craig Catto 2 Blade composite prop, woo hoo! Removed my MT fixed pitch from the RVX to test this new design for Craig and give good comparison data. But I digress...
Way back in 1998 I was flying my 150HP RV4 in CA with a Sterba WP when a local at a fly-in asked if I liked the wood prop. I did, but wanted something a bit different and more modern. He said I needed to meet a crazy local prop maker who made composite props for Long-EZ's and Reno racers. Little did I know after shoe-horning my RV4 into Craig's mountainside airstrip, visiting his shop and carrying away a loaner test prop I was starting a lifelong friendship. The 2 blade I bolted on my RV4 was Craig's first RV4 installation and first 2 blade RV prop. It would be the first of many props I would test and fly for over 10 years. OK, back to the future:

Aircraft: Modified RV-6X (RV4 wings and emp, RV6 fuse 150HP 945 lbs EW)Fairings cleanup and rigging by Ronnie.

Comparison MT 69" Fixed Pitch scimitar composite 175R-180S-3Ea (custom designed in Germany) vs Catto 70X69 Composite scimitar 2 blade.
Test conducted at my home strip 90' MSL 85F 1800' long Turf.

MT:
Static: 2150
Takeoff/Initial climb 80 Knots 2300 1200 FPM
100 Knot climb 2375 RPM 1500 FPM
120 Knot climb 2440 RPM 1600 FPM

WOT 1000' MSL 2675 RPM 172 KIAS
WOT 5000' MSL 2660 RPM 158 KIAS
WOT 8000' MSL 2600 RPM 148 KIAS
WOT 10000' MSL 2550 RPM 141 KIAS (170 TAS)

New Catto:
Static 1950
Takeoff/Initial climb 80 Knots 2155 1200 FPM
100 Knot climb 2250 RPM 1400 FPM
120 Knot climb 2440 RPM 1900 FPM

WOT 1000' MSL 2875 181 KIAS
WOT 5000' MSL 2810 164 KIAS
WOT 8000' MSL 2775 156 KIAS
WOT 10000' MSL 2700 150 KIAS

Overall, the Catto really wakes up at 120 knots and is like all his props, turbine smooth. It works better at higher altitude than the MT and out climbs it in the lower altitudes. The MT shines in lower RPM, lower speed operations. The Catto fit, finish and new Nickel leading edge are an out of the park home run. And like everything Craig does and himself included, a class act.

Highly Recommended :)

Smokey

Last edited:
I have the same prop on my -9 and it's performance is just stunning!

Last weekend I took off out of a 3500' runway that's at 800' AGL and by the time I crossed the end of the runway I was at 1800'. That was solo and with one hour out of the tanks. You don't have to settle for OK performance with a Catto.

Oh, and my 75% 8000' cruise works out to be 199 mph (169 knots). Not too bad!

Is this going to be a new product for him? I'd be interested in one for an O-360 tall gear RV-4.

Last edited:
Wow..

8 knots gained at 8,000' and 9 at 10,000!

Smokey, you know you need a new spinner, fit much closer to the prop shanks for more MPH:) Those big gaps gotta go. Paul Lipps said so!

Thanks,

It's a drag..

Hi Pierre,
Yeah, I know it's the MT spinner. I could hear Paul's voice while doing speed runs "Smokey you're losing K-Nots out there"
Craig was kind enough to include a spinner which arrived today. I'll fit it up and see how much difference or indifference is noted.

Always great to hear from you :)

Bya Danke'
Smokey

I find it ironic that such a good looking airplane and prop has ugly foam covering the inlets. I understand why and might do the same thing myself....but it just looks funny in the picture. It is one good looking prop though!! I love the nickel edge.

Thanks for sharing Smokey! Catto told be last month that he has a new design in the CNC coming this way soon. :) Can't wait ... :D

Just arrived

My Catto three blade just arrived for my RV-8. All I can say is that guy knows what he is doing, I just love it.:)

Timing is everything!

Smokey, impeccable timing!
I've been chatting to MT over the last couple of weeks whittling down my choice for the "big" purchase of this year.
I had got it down to either the MT 170R 185S -3E OR a copy of your
MT 175R 180S -3E (hope you don't mind). Now this!
Impressive figures and it looks like a fantastic piece of engineering.
I wouldn't want to run more than 2700 RPM, any idea what the Catto figures would be with this limitation?
When/if you change the spinner what will you eventually fit?
Great data keep the info flowing.

Timing is everything!

Disregard the spinner question............. just re-read post #5!

I got the same prop in a 74 x 74 for an O-360 RV6 under construction. Great to see such stunning performance data. I'm a little concerned with the length of my prop. Van's recommends 72 inch max for -6. Is anybody else running 74 inch prop on a taildragger? Any clearance concerns?

Grant Cassady

I got the same prop in a 74 x 74 for an O-360 RV6 under construction. Great to see such stunning performance data. I'm a little concerned with the length of my prop. Van's recommends 72 inch max for -6. Is anybody else running 74 inch prop on a taildragger? Any clearance concerns?

Grant Cassady
Van's sells a 74" CS for the RV's, so I elected to go with 74" FP for my -9 TD. Then again, the -9 has the longest gear of all the tail draggers.

catto

Word from one of the racers is that the metal leading edge costs 3 m/h at race speed(balls to the wall)

Back