What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sapelo Island, Ga. visit..

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Hi all...Jenny wants to go and visit Sapelo Island and it has an airport there...5,000' X 150 grass/dirt and controlled by the Dept. of Natural Resources. Airnav points out that they do not want it on Sectionals and permission is needed. There are quite a few barrier islands and she wants to go see them all.

Have any of you Georgia guys or north Florida RV'ers been there? Is there anything to do besides the Natural Resource center visit?

Thanks,

Haven't landed there, but flown by a few dozens times. The runway has white X's, doesn't look very welcoming. University of Georgia has a marine lab adjacent to the airfield, I'm thinking of wrangling an invitation. :) These coastal islands are absolutely beautiful, especially to a northerner fleeing the snow for a few days. Whales just offshore in the winter. Pierre, have you checked out the airstrip on the north end of Cumberland Island? Looks very cool, but very private.

-Andy

Pierre I don't think it is a pretty runway. I have flown over it many times and it does not look RV friendly. Maybe a Cub with tundra tires! Very pretty area. Great area to fly the marshes and waterways.

I finally hooked up with the manager...

...in Atlanta. He told me that the runway is not kept up any more and they only fly in by helicopter.

Jenny spent the last two days there and rode her bike to the runway and saw 1' tall cactuses/cactii? there and tall, tufty grass, so don't go there!

Interestingly though, are descendants of the slaves living there, in a small community named Hog Hammock. R.J. Reynolds owned the island at one time and built a large mansion there and also the runway, since he had a pilot fly him there from time to time.

Best,

Old airfield

Friend of mine in town (she's in her 70's) told me her mother was a nurse and used to ride out to the island when the people were ill, as there were no doctors to be had back then. Still arent any close. She didn't know what kind of plane her mom took. Shame they don't keep the strip up.

Back