What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

main gear fairings - - nosedragger

grover

Well Known Member
have experienced failure of the little tab thingies that used to hold the main gear fairings on to the gear with hose clamps. is there an innovative and resourceful method of attaching these that is more robust? 70 hrs TT.

Hi James,

As Reiley mentioned, you do need to reinforce the tab with a couple of extra glass layers.

Even with the extra glass, if you overtighten the band clamp, it will eventually crack the glass tab--especially if you have had a "less than gentle nose gear let down" or two--of course none of us have had one of those--NOT. If you undertighten, it will obviously slip down and provide no benefit. Many have found that "perfect tightness" and have no problems.

I went a different direction. Since the tab breaks as a result of the solid band clamp pressure and flexing, I wanted something that would provide for slight movement but still hold the fairing in the correct verticle position.

I picked up some high quality (I think it is 3M) 3/4" packaging tape that has the fiberglass reinforcing strands in it. I use two wraps with the tape around the leg fairing tab/gear leg. It provides slight movement yet maintains the fairing in the correct position. I simply clean it off and replace it at each annual. Three annuals (sorry Mel--Condition Inspections) and no more cracking.

YMMV

Cheers,

db

After

Back